cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supercup selection and estimated lifetime calculation for RTC.

okeskin_mak
Associate II

Hello.

I am using a supercap as rtc backup battery on my STM32G4 processor. There is a bit of high consumption as I drive the RTC crystal high. But the highest consumed current is 0.8uA.

The product I chose is SCMS22D255PRBB0. However, it discharges quite quickly. My charging voltage is 3.6V. My operating range is between 3.6V and 1.55V. after about two days i lose rtc.

Is my capacity selection wrong? I see them using supercap in many designs. Is there something I did wrong? Or does every project using supercup make a short-term backup?

2 REPLIES 2
Bubbles
ST Employee

Hi @okeskin_mak​,

you can take advantage of the CubeMX integrated power consumption calculator to estimate the battery life. That should spare you surprises like this.

BR,

J

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Of course, first of all, I used cubemx during the design and it showed me 1.05uA consumption. Isn't it abnormal to run out of 2.5F supercapacity in 2 days even with this consumption value?

I have no problem with the current consumed by the MCU. Do you have an answer about supercap selection?

BR.