cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

912600 baud rate criteria on UART1 interface?

NGros
Associate III

Hi!

I am operating on an STM32F446 chip and I have the following issue:

I tested out a communication system where I attached a 912600 baud communication with another device via UART1 on a STM32f446 NUCLEO Board. All worked out well, no errors or other issues.

Now we have designed a pcb with the stm32f446 chip, and is still running on 912600 baud via UART1. The issue is, now we have a communication-loss, after startup, no bytes can actually be read anymore in our serial port on UART1. I tried out 115200 Baud instead of 912600 and it fixes the problem. But I can not figure out why exactly. We have no oscillator attached on OSC32_IN and OSC32_OUT , only on OSC_IN and OSC_OUT we use an extern 20MHz crystal oscillator.

I read the reference manual of the stm32f446 but I can't really understand what's meant by oversampling on page 810 - 816 and all the rest is also pretty hard to understand for me..

Has the OSC32 a big impact on using a high baud rate like 912600 on UART1, or could I have missed something else in the transformation from nucleo board to the custom pcb design?

(please also have a look at my attachment, could be helpful for your understanding.)

Thank you very much.

Best regards, NG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

>>The issue is, now we have a leck in communication. 

A what?

>>I tested out a communication system where I attached a 912600 Baud rate 

921600 is the normal/classic multiple

OSC32 likely has no relationship.

The Nucleo typically derives it's 8 MHz clock from the ST-LINK on board

You need to make sure HSE_VALUE (often in stm32fxx_hal_conf.h) reflects your clock speed so the baud rate math works.

The PLL settings will also need to reflect your different clock source.

You could use the HSI+PLL on both Nucleo and your board for apple-to-apple test.

Your clock needs to start.

OVER8 and OVER16 means the UART tries to sample/synchronise with your async signal with 8 or 16 times the baud clock rate, ie 921600 x16

So the baud rate divides the APB clock by (921600 * 16) or (921600 * 😎 . The higher the rate the closer you get to the APB/16 or APB/8 ceiling.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

>>The issue is, now we have a leck in communication. 

A what?

>>I tested out a communication system where I attached a 912600 Baud rate 

921600 is the normal/classic multiple

OSC32 likely has no relationship.

The Nucleo typically derives it's 8 MHz clock from the ST-LINK on board

You need to make sure HSE_VALUE (often in stm32fxx_hal_conf.h) reflects your clock speed so the baud rate math works.

The PLL settings will also need to reflect your different clock source.

You could use the HSI+PLL on both Nucleo and your board for apple-to-apple test.

Your clock needs to start.

OVER8 and OVER16 means the UART tries to sample/synchronise with your async signal with 8 or 16 times the baud clock rate, ie 921600 x16

So the baud rate divides the APB clock by (921600 * 16) or (921600 * 😎 . The higher the rate the closer you get to the APB/16 or APB/8 ceiling.

S.Ma
Principal

Anybody built a xls file which tells the max baud rate from the clock tolerances of both transmitter and receiver? That could be handy as cubeMX "calculator". Who would like this?

>>Anybody built a xls file..

As I explained to my local Excel jockey, it's not that I can't use a spreadsheet, but rather that I chose not too, I could write a fitter in a few dozen lines of C, and before spreadsheets I used a TI-59 to automate computations.

NGros
Associate III

Highly appreciate your answers, thx!

NGros
Associate III

I upscaled the peripherial clock speed (APB) now it's working great. (How can I switch a question to "Solved" in this forum? 🙂 )