cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 bit adc resolution with dual mode

Yandas
Associate II

Hello everyone,
I have a stm32h573. I want to get 24 bit resolution. There were those who said I could do it in dual mode. Can I get 24 bit adc resolution using dual mode? There is a 36 bit CDR register. But I really want to know if it will give 24 bit resolution. Can you help?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

the ADC has 12bit ; real effective resolution is about:

AScha3_1-1718009819602.png

So you might get 12...14bit data with oversampling/averaging , but 24bit - never.

You could get a 24bit "number" by summing many conversions, but this is not a real 24bit resolution.

Read the AN5354  about ADC in your chip.

And with dual mode you just get two 12bit results - thats all.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

the ADC has 12bit ; real effective resolution is about:

AScha3_1-1718009819602.png

So you might get 12...14bit data with oversampling/averaging , but 24bit - never.

You could get a 24bit "number" by summing many conversions, but this is not a real 24bit resolution.

Read the AN5354  about ADC in your chip.

And with dual mode you just get two 12bit results - thats all.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Yandas
Associate II

Hello @AScha.3 ,
I was going to correct it to 12, not 16, but you did. I was told that I could do 12 bit adc and dual regular simultaneous mode. So why does the Common Data Register carry a 36 bit value if we cannot get a 24 bit value? Why is this necessary?

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

If there was a such feature it were described in the introduction or main feature sections of 26 Analog-to-digital converters (ADC1/2):

26.1 Introduction / 26.2 ADC main features

Nothing tells in these section that in Dual mode you can configure the two ADCs to get 24-bit resolution!

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Yandas
Associate II

Hi @SofLit,
Thank you for your answers. We agreed that I can't get 24 bit resolution. I just don't understand why we need to store two adc data in a 32 bit data register in dual mode. Thanks for your help.

Because in dual mode (example: regular simultaneous mode) we want to get the converted values of the two ADCs at the same time and read them at once in a 32-bit value.

PS: ADC_CDR register is a 32-bit and not 36-bit

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Yandas
Associate II

Hi @SofLit ,
I wrote the 36 bit part by mistake, I corrected it in my next answer. Thank you. I understand very well.