Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Wish List, all suggestions are welcome

T J
Lead

24 Timers

This project could use 8 independent PWM outputs, plus 8 independent counters

and another 8 wouldn't go unwanted. these would still offer IC and OC, PWM etc.

14 REPLIES 14
T J
Lead

I wish we had a new website by Christmas, this year...

Nikita91
Lead II

My strongest wish would be to be assured of the durability of the software provided by ST.

I started with the defunct SPL, and now there are HAL and LL drivers. But the HAL is not based on LL!

We rather use the LL which allows to develop drivers and libraries better adapted to specific needs. LL drivers are not yet available for the H7 series. Will it be available someday?

My second wish would be to have better-designed peripherals. It's probably too late, but a software developer should be part of the team developing the peripheral devices. 

From a hardware point of view the peripherals are sometimes very rustic: no FIFO in the UART which implies a very high interruption rate (there is FIFOs in the 8250 dating from 1984!). I know there is a FIFO in the UART series H7, but it's late and only for high end MCUs... The i2C is very complicated to manage (Compare with ATMEL AVR series!), and different in several families.

From a software point of view it is not bearable that the I2C requires an interruption of the highest priority. The same thing for the HAL timer.

Third wish, more precise information on device compatibility between different families. I know there are documents that address this topic, but what does "partial compatibility" mean without more information? I dream of a document for each peripheral that clearly indicates what the differences are and in which families they are available.

Apart from that I find the ST policy on NUCLEO and EVAL cards very useful. And the integrated and detachable ST-LINK programming probe is really a plus.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

BTW, the other 2019 STM32 Wish List (https://community.st.com/s/question/0D70X00000699fD/2019-stm32-wish-list) initiated by us as usual :).

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Your wishes has been granted with the new STM32MP1 Series

• Powerful Dual-Cortex-A7 + Cortex-M4 + 3D GPU
  • Gigabit Ethernet MAC
  • Two embedded USB 2.0 High-Speed PHY
  • Support of DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR2/LPDDR3
  • and much more....
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Lead

The LL support should catch up with HAL.

The F74x is not new, yet there is not LL support for the CAN peripheral, for instance.