cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1. Data cache disable issue, 2. flash interface (AXI vs. TCM)

pabian
Associate III
  1. If the Data cache is disabled to solve dma data coherency, it reduce performance a lot?  I know functions SCB_ClearDCache(), SCB_InvalidateDCache() to solve that issue. But there is a risk that an error message will not occur even if omitted by mistake. And another method using MPU is too difficult in freeRTOS. So I want to disable the data cache as long as it doesn't degrade performance much. Does this cause any other problems?
  2. I don't know which flash interface to use, AXI or TCM. Are there any restrictions on having to choose between the two? If not, does it matter which one I use?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

I invite you to read two application notes:

• AN4839 "Level 1 cache on STM32F7 Series and STM32H7 Series"
  • AN4667 "STM32F7 Series system architecture and performance"

Hope they answer your questions.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

I invite you to read two application notes:

• AN4839 "Level 1 cache on STM32F7 Series and STM32H7 Series"
  • AN4667 "STM32F7 Series system architecture and performance"

Hope they answer your questions.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Piranha
Chief II

In addition to what SofLit showed...

> If the Data cache is disabled to solve dma data coherency, it reduce performance a lot?

Disabling D-cache on Cortex-M7 approximately halves the CPU performance. But it also significantly depends on usage scenario:

https://alexkalmuk.medium.com/cpu-caches-with-examples-for-arm-cortex-m-2c05a339246e

> And another method using MPU is too difficult in freeRTOS.

One doesn't have to use FreeRTOS-MPU. Just configure the memories with MPU and use the basic FreeRTOS.