cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is USB PD 3.1 (240W) on STM32 with built in UCPD possible?

Gorkem
Associate II

Dear Sir/Madam,

Is it possible to have a STM32 with build in UCPD-controller to deliver 240W at the port? or does anyone have experience with this type of application?

According to (link: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/ecosystems/stm32-usb-c.html?ecmp=tt21056_gl_link_may2021) I should be able to negotiate of up to 240W with EPR (extended power range) if I make use of the STM32G0 series.

After consulting your presentation (link: https://www.st.com/resource/en/product_presentation/stm32-usb-c-pd-solutions-presentation.pdf) I have come to the knowledge (see page 10) that I also need a TCCP0X port protection IC, I want to have a STM that is able to sink or source power (DRP) according to the presentation I need a TCPP03-M20. Consulting the datasheet of the TCCP03-20 I came to the conclusion that it complies with powers up to 100W only. 

Also looking into AN5225 (https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00536349-usb-type-c-power-delivery-using-stm32xx-series-mcus-and-stm32xxx-series-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf) I don't see any specifications for USB-C PD 3.1 (240W) either...

Another thing to note there is no single port controller or VBUS port protection IC that is suitable for 240W on the current market. I am also aware that I need an energy management system that is able to output 240W but the main question is, is the STM32 capable of driving this power. 

Looking forward for your reply, I would like to thank you in advance.

Greetings,

Gorkem 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Philippe RABIER
ST Employee

Dear Gorkem,

Thanks for the  detailed  description.

TCPP0x series has  been developed  several years  ago when Power Delivery was 100 W maximum. So the  limitation of  the TCPP0x series  is  100 W because  of the voltage of the  technology used. For the  new  EPR up to 240 W, we  are  investigating in a  new TCPPEx series able to manage 240 W. This  new  series  will be  able to work with an STM32 having  UCPD.

I suggest you contact your  local sales office, and  they will come back to you once  our  TCPPEx series is  available.

Regards. Philippe Rabier

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Philippe RABIER
ST Employee

Dear Gorkem,

Thanks for the  detailed  description.

TCPP0x series has  been developed  several years  ago when Power Delivery was 100 W maximum. So the  limitation of  the TCPP0x series  is  100 W because  of the voltage of the  technology used. For the  new  EPR up to 240 W, we  are  investigating in a  new TCPPEx series able to manage 240 W. This  new  series  will be  able to work with an STM32 having  UCPD.

I suggest you contact your  local sales office, and  they will come back to you once  our  TCPPEx series is  available.

Regards. Philippe Rabier

Gorkem
Associate II

Dear Philippe,

Does this means that I need to develop a PD circuit without port protection? I you look into the datasheet (https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00536349-usb-type-c-power-delivery-using-stm32xx-series-mcus-and-stm32xxx-series-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf) @ page 39 you can see that a port protection IC is actually optional but also strongly recommended, so I guess I need to make a trade off between these two.

Greetings,

Gorkem

Dear Gorkem,

Protection is like  insurance. Everybody does not  want to pay for that because  it is  useless until you get a  crash. In our  case the crash is either a  surge  or  a  short circuit to Vbus. So it is better to add protection.

When do you you expect to get your 240 W  system to go in production ?

Regrads

Philippe Rabier

Dear Philippe,

It is not for production purposes but for my thesis in which I have to design a USB-C DRP station which can deliver up to 240W. It is quite new and it hasn't been implemented before as far as I know. Also a side note, regarding the port protection I am planning to make a port protection with discrete components that is configurable of up to 48V tolerant on the CC and SBU-pins, I will keep you updated. 

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Gorkem 

Philippe RABIER
ST Employee

Dear Gorkem,

You are  right  this is  quite  new  and  I am not  aware  of  any IC able to manage 240 W EPR either with µC or  stand alone. We  are working on it but we  wont  have  product before Q3-2024 as  the  product is today not fully defined.

CC and SBU-pins must  be  55 V tolerant (48 V + tolerance)

Regards. Philippe

Gorkem
Associate II

Yeah, I have to make a discrete circuit for overvoltage protection on the cc and sbu-pins since there are no IC's available to do that for EPR. That is going to be quite challenging..