cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From the audio codec being used in the STM32H745I-DISCO boards it seems that it can support 2W speakers. Where can I find more information on recommended specs for those speakers?

SNort.1
Associate II

For some context, we are prototyping a mobile device and want to achieve good quality stereo audio so we'll be buying some samples of various low power mobile speakers, but want to be in the right ball park before we iterate on final designs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @SNort.1​, to the community!

As you can see from the circuit of the STM32H745I-DISCO, the WM8894 is used as the codec. In its datasheet you will find all relevant data regarding audio, e.g. max 2x0.6W with SPKMODE = 1 and 8 Ohm load impedance. The mentioned 2x2W require certain conditions, i.e. SPKVDD > 4.5V and load impedance > 4 ohms.

For more information on the codec you should contact the manufacturer Cirrus Logic.

Good luck!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @SNort.1​, to the community!

As you can see from the circuit of the STM32H745I-DISCO, the WM8894 is used as the codec. In its datasheet you will find all relevant data regarding audio, e.g. max 2x0.6W with SPKMODE = 1 and 8 Ohm load impedance. The mentioned 2x2W require certain conditions, i.e. SPKVDD > 4.5V and load impedance > 4 ohms.

For more information on the codec you should contact the manufacturer Cirrus Logic.

Good luck!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SNort.1
Associate II

Thanks Peter! I was aware of the Codec and even have the data sheet. But somehow managed to fail at finding the impedance and other details you mention. This is great. Thanks again.