cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STSPIN32G4 Power Consumption Reduction

WSega.1
Associate II

I customized a version of the EVSPIN32G4 eval board to spin my 2 pole pair BLDC 24V 2A motor in sensorless FOC mode. My schematic is similar to the eval schematic. When the motor is spinning the STSPIN32G4 on my board is getting to 65 degrees C which isn't terribly hot, but I do wonder what my options are for reducing the consumption. I'm more interested in reducing the consumption than reducing the temperature. I see there are options for VCC for the buck converter, maybe running at a lower voltage could help? Are there other ways to control the power consumed?

2 REPLIES 2
TDK
Guru

I would imagine the motor control part of the device is consuming the majority of the current. Possible ways to reduce the current the chip draws are to use lower clock speed, use lower voltage, use low power modes when available.

> I'm more interested in reducing the consumption than reducing the temperature.

These are one and the same if you only use passive cooling (i.e. no fans).

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
WSega.1
Associate II

Thanks for your response. I agree with your comments on the motor control part consuming the majority of the current. The 170MHz clocked MCU doesn't warm significantly when not driving a motor so I am thinking more along the lines of the motor driving voltages or maybe something that is configurable in software to reduce gate drives. I also am agreement on "consumption = reducing the temperature" with passive cooling. I was only clarifying that I am not looking for layout tips on how to dissipate the heat rather looking for 'control' side tips or tricks.