cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo power supply when plugged on X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1

Grann
Associate II

Hello,

I am using an X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 board plugged on a G431 Nucleo board and I have a question regarding the Nucleo power supply.

In the IHM08 Quick Start Guide it is noted that the JP5 PWR jumper must be set to E5V (powered from morpho connector), however in the Motor Profiler information page (when you click on "Remember to properly configure the boards in Motor Control Mode" - Step 1) it is 5V_STLK that is mentioned (powered from USB).

Which one should be used?

Also, is is recommended to use an "external Isolated ST LinkConnect", highlighting the Nucleo STLINK USB connector. What is this device? (the new B-STLINK-ISOL?)

Thank you. 

0693W00000FBHsRQAX.png 

0693W00000FBHtPQAX.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CYANG.1
ST Employee

Hi Grann,

You are right, IHM08 can not provide power to nucleo board through VIN, it only can provide 5V through E5V on morpho connector.

For nucleo, if you set JP5 to E5V, the nucleo's power is from IHM08 through E5V on morpho connector. if you set JP5 to 5V_STLK, the nucleo's power is from CN1 of nucleo-G431.

I checked motor profiler, it seems configurations for different board groups are all set to STLINK power. So you may follow this configuration.

The recommendation is if you use high voltage power board, the high voltage would be damage your PC through USB cable, so an isolation is suggested. You may look for an isolation device which is on the USB connection between PC and nucleo CN1 .

B.R.

Cyril Yang

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @Grann​ 

Welcome to the STM32 Community

Sorry for late answer.

Could you give more details to the STM32 Community about your setup -the material you use- ?

(HW and also SW: CPU(s), tools and versions, board(s), motor(s) and so on)

And more especially did you use STM32 MC tools (such as MC_suite, STM32 MC Motor Profile, STM32 MC SDK, STM32 MC Workbench, the used example, the origin of the base of your application source code, and so on)?

Best regards

Grann
Associate II

Hello Laurent,

For the software, I am using MC SDK 5.Y.2 with Cube IDE 1.3.0.

The hardware is Nucleo-G474RE (I broke the G431) with X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1.

The motor is a PMSM 48V / 10A.

Grann
Associate II

Hello @Laurent Ca...

do you need more information?

CYANG.1
ST Employee

Hi Grann,

In  IHM08 Quick Start Guide, the description of nucleo board was based on NUCLEO-F302R8 or NUCLEO-F401RE, not NUCLEO-G431. NUCLEO-G431 has different power configuration jumpers. So when IHM08 Quick Start Guide told you to set JP5 to E5V, on NUCLEO-G431, it should be set JP5 on 5V_VIN.

I didn't find Motor Profiler information page as you mentioned.

B.R.

Grann
Associate II

Hello @CYANG.1​ 

why E5V should not be used? On the Nucleo G431 (and 474), CN7-6 is correctly connected to E5V.

However, I can not use 5V_VIN because VIN is greater than 12V (48V).

In Motor Profiler, select Nucleo-G431RB and X-NUCLEO-IHM08M and click on "Remember to properly configure the boards in Motor Control Mode"

0693W00000FDkiyQAD.png

CYANG.1
ST Employee

Hi Grann,

You are right, IHM08 can not provide power to nucleo board through VIN, it only can provide 5V through E5V on morpho connector.

For nucleo, if you set JP5 to E5V, the nucleo's power is from IHM08 through E5V on morpho connector. if you set JP5 to 5V_STLK, the nucleo's power is from CN1 of nucleo-G431.

I checked motor profiler, it seems configurations for different board groups are all set to STLINK power. So you may follow this configuration.

The recommendation is if you use high voltage power board, the high voltage would be damage your PC through USB cable, so an isolation is suggested. You may look for an isolation device which is on the USB connection between PC and nucleo CN1 .

B.R.

Cyril Yang