cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly created Inverter disappears from MCWB 6.1.2 new project wizard.

Optician
Associate III

I am trying to create a new inverter board for a Motor Control Workbench 6.1.2 project. I have tried several methods :
1. Create clone of B-G431B-ESC1 in STMC Board Manager at choose Inverter stage of project wizard.
2. Create new board in BM and save as required inverter name.
3. Create new board in BM and save as required inverter name. Edit entry in BM to show correct "name" entry.

Method (1) produces an entry in the "choose Inverter" part of the wizard, obviously without image. If I later try to create a new project, I choose general info and motor OK, but when I come to the choose inverter stage, my new board has disappeared, although it is still shown in board manager list, and is accessible for editing, etc. In fact all 3 methods above produce that same result, inverter is in BM list but not in project wizard choice. I noticed that the wizard says it is showing 12 of 12 inverters, the board manager shows a list of 14 inverters.

If I search my whole PC for one of the inverters, say EVSPIN32F06Q1S1, I get 3 hits :

E:\ST\MC_SDK_6.1.2\Utilities\PC_Software\STMCWB\assets\www\resources\board\img\EVSPIN32F06Q1S1.png
E:\ST\MC_SDK_6.1.2\Utilities\PC_Software\STMCWB\assets\hardware\board\inverter\EVSPIN32F06Q1S1.json
E:\ST\MC_SDK_6.1.2\Utilities\PC_Software\STMCWB\templates\ioc_seed\boards\F0\EVSPIN32F06Q1S1.ftl

but if I search for my new board, RT-G431B-ESC1, I only get 1 hit :

C:\Users\my_name\.st_workbench\hardware\board\inverter\RT-G431B-ESC1.json

As expected, the new board has no image file, but it is missing the index file *.ftl. It has the board description json  file OK, but note it is not in the installation directory but in the user data which is normally never used here. Neither can I find a means of defining paths at all in MCWB. More importantly though, is, whatever the technicalities, the new board isn't available for use by the new project wizard which obviously is a show stopper.

I'm loathe to start copying the json about and creating image files, ftl files, etc until I get some advice on what is happening here. Thank you for any help.

Later... having seen a similar post from MMoha.10 in this MCU section on 17th June, I have in common with him that I have edited the JSON to use a very similar MCU in a different package, the STM32G431RBT6. That itself seems to be enough to trigger the cloned inverter's visible demise.

Later still...  OK, it seems to want the last digit of the MCU number to be generic 'x' rather than specific  2, 4, 6 etc.  STM32G431RBTx shows visible entry in wizard window, STM32G431RBT6 shows nothing. It looks like that is hoiw the startup code files are named, rather than specifically.

Now I am back to my old "ERROR : get invalid data format" when pressing OK after selecting the new inverter. By the way, it does this for any combination, I have found no way to start a new project without it. I have to find a suitable example project and edit it to suit.

Optician

Optician

10 REPLIES 10
Optician
Associate III

I'm not super surprised, but what does surprise me is that this was definitely not mentioned on your web page anywhere near the download area, not mentioned on the download link, not part of the installation file name, and worst of all not mentioned during install or during launching the program. The latter is very surprising from a company the size of ST. Allowing installation of a program on an operating system it is not supported on is a  fundamental error of your programming department and says very little of any good about your quality control from there to the customer. Perhaps you could pass my comments to your programming department.

I am very disappointed in ST for contributing to the waste of months of time.

Optician