cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set jumpers of X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 for FOC control?

LIUJINGJING
Associate II

I want to use Nucleo-G431RB and X-Nucleo-IHM08M1 3Sh to control a outer rotor BLDC with FOC. Now I am confusing how to set jumpers.

In the introduction of Motor Profile:

0693W00000NqlSrQAJ.pngHowever, in the Quick Start Guide and User Manual of X-Nucleo-IHM08M1 3Sh ,

the requirements are like this:

On the X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 expansion board, set jumpers: J9 open,

JP3 closed.

For 6-step control (X-CUBE-SPN8 FW), set jumpers: JP1 and JP2 open, J5&J6

on the 1-Sh side. Keep capacitor C5 mounted; in case of poor motor current

regulation during startup, reduce its value.

For FOC control (STSW-STM32100 FW), set jumpers: JP1 and JP2 closed,

J5&J6 on the 3-Sh side. Remove capacitors C3, C5 and C7.

Which one should I follow?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @LIUJINGJING​ and welcome to the ST Community.

The Motor Profiler settings (picture) are used to estimate the electrical and mechanical parameters of the motor in use and they do not depend on the control algorithm.

To drive the motor with FOC and 3 shunt configuration you must follow the Quick Start Guide and User Manual UM1996 settings.

Let me know if these info are useful to you, if yes please "Select as Best" label to close the topic.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @LIUJINGJING​ and welcome to the ST Community.

The Motor Profiler settings (picture) are used to estimate the electrical and mechanical parameters of the motor in use and they do not depend on the control algorithm.

To drive the motor with FOC and 3 shunt configuration you must follow the Quick Start Guide and User Manual UM1996 settings.

Let me know if these info are useful to you, if yes please "Select as Best" label to close the topic.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"

I used the FOC & 3 shunt setting in the parameters estimate in Motor Profiler. Will it influence the eastimate results?

Because in the Motor Profiler setting, R181 need to be removed. If I remove it, I think I cannot make it on again. And Jumper J9 is off, but I am using the 44V DC supply, according to the AN5464, if the voltage is larger than 12V, J9 must be on.

Hi @LIUJINGJING​ 

R181 is used to connect SPEED potentiometer to PA4, in your application is not necessary.

In the Application Notes AN5464 (at page 10) is specified:

When using a different motor rated higher than 12 V, keep jumper J9 on the power board OFF (open) before applying power-on voltage at J1 to avoid damaging the Nucleo board.

So the proper setting for 44 V _DC supply is J9 open.