cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove acoustic noise from a brushless motor? Can PID tuning help?

msingh
Senior

Hi,

NUCLEO-G431RB + X-NUCLEO-IHM07M1

MCWB 5.Y.3 + STM32CubeIDE 1.7.0

Maxon motor combination: 200142 + 166935 + 673026

BLDC motors are supposed to be "silent" however this doesn't seem to be the case when I attempt to drive the motor with the combination above. I have noticed the amplitude of the sound increases as more torque is requested, I have then tried changing the torque PIDs and they seem to make a difference but not completely solve the issue. PID tuning helped to reduce noise from very loud to loud. The motor itself is fine! I have used the Maxon BLDC controller and it is completely silent with that.

Thanks in advance

Manpreet Singh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Thanks for your reply. I was already using FOC control as I required to control the rotationa speed by an external analogue signal however I have managed to reduce the electrical noise by heavily losing the PID loops, specially the position control PIDs.

Once again thanks for reply.

Kind regards

Manpreet Singh

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Raül G
Associate II

Hello,

try to an other type of control.

I hear that an Field Oriented Control (FOC) the acoustic noise is reduced.

Good luck!

Raül.

Hi Thanks for your reply. I was already using FOC control as I required to control the rotationa speed by an external analogue signal however I have managed to reduce the electrical noise by heavily losing the PID loops, specially the position control PIDs.

Once again thanks for reply.

Kind regards

Manpreet Singh