cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty non-default configurations with P-NUCLEO-IHM03 and MC Workbench 6.1.2

bitschubser
Associate

Hi there, 

I am getting started with motor control with the ST kit P-NUCLEO-IHM03 and MCSDK 6. While I successfully ran the default configuration (i.e. FOC + 3 shunt current sensing), I am having trouble with non-default configurations (i.e. 6-step +1 shunt & FOC+1 shunt) and I am wondering if I am missing anything (e.g. parameter adjustments in MC Workbench or Jumper settings on the Nucleo or expansion board).

For 6-step & 1 shunt, I only changed the algorithm in MC Workbench to 6-step and adjusted the jumpers on the expansion board according the table in section 4.1. in the document UM2415  (i.e. close JP4 & JP7 with solder bridge, open J5 & J6, close J2 on 1-2,  close J3 on 2-3).

After generating and flashing the firmware, I started and modified parameters via the Motor Pilot. However, for speeds below 600rpm the motor runs very "choppy" i.e. stops intermittently. So to exclude that this is normal behavior with the 6 step algorithm I tried the other non default variant described in UM2415. 

For FOC & 1 shunt, I adjusted the Current Sensing in MC Workbench to "Single Shunt Resistor" and changed the jumpers according to the 4.1. table in UM2415 (i.e. i.e. close JP4 & JP7 with solder bridge, close J5 & J6, close J2 on 1-2,  close J3 on 2-3).

However, after flashing the motor immediately goes in a fault state during startup.

I am therefore wondering if there is anything I missed. Do I need to modify the default MC Workbench parameters? I did notice that section 4.7. in UM2415 does not mention the Nucleo-G431RB, but since it is part of the kit I would assume that the documentation is just outdated and I assume that this would not have an influence on the jumper settings. 

I would be grateful for tips how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello bitschubser,

Concerning your 6STEP issue, I believe it can be solved by tinkering a bit the PID values, something like that worked on my end :
6STEP.PNG

You can see those options by clicking the Advanced Configuration button on the bottom left of the Pilot.

Concerning your FOC issue, could you please tell me which error is given by the Pilot ?
If it is an Overcurrent, try decreasing all the Revup Values from 16000 to 14000.

Finally, know that the position for J2 and J3 mentioned in UM2415 is totally optional and they can be left at their default positioning.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello bitschubser,

Concerning your 6STEP issue, I believe it can be solved by tinkering a bit the PID values, something like that worked on my end :
6STEP.PNG

You can see those options by clicking the Advanced Configuration button on the bottom left of the Pilot.

Concerning your FOC issue, could you please tell me which error is given by the Pilot ?
If it is an Overcurrent, try decreasing all the Revup Values from 16000 to 14000.

Finally, know that the position for J2 and J3 mentioned in UM2415 is totally optional and they can be left at their default positioning.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.