EVSPIN32G4-Dual driver 2 motor issue

kelvin.wang
Associate II

[VERSION]: MCSDK 6.2.0
[TOOL]: MC WB,
[DETAILS]: PWM output Abnormal 
[EXPECTED BEHAVIOR]:M1 & M2 should drive independently & smoothly
[HOW TO REPRODUCE]:

1.Profile M1 & M2 by Motor Profiler with EVSPIN32G4. M1 & M2 got Hall .

2.Use MCSDK 6.2.0 with EVSPIN32G4-Dual to generate project(default setting, just modify Motor Hall );

3.CubeIDE compile the project & Flash into EVSPIN32G4-Dual.

4.Motor Pilot to start M1 & M2.=====first start M1 spin well.... Then spin M2-----Can see M1 stop with high frequency noise.

5.Try to spin M2 & M1 separately------Works well.

6.This EVB should be able to Drive 2 motor at the same time ,but how ?

4 REPLIES 4
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello kelvin.wang,

I have a few questions concerning your issue :
- Are you using the MotorPilot to start/stop your motors ?
- If yes, is it returning any error when your motor stops ?
- When you say : "M1 stop with high frequency noise", do you mean that your motor stops then you hear high frequency noise, or do you mean that your motor makes high frequency noise (maybe is shaking a bit ?), then stops with no noise afterwards ?

In any case, I advise you to lower the PWM frequency (PWM Generation tab via WB) to see if the issue does not come from an overloaded CPU.

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

Hi Gael A,

- Are you using the MotorPilot to start/stop your motors ?====>Yes
- If yes, is it returning any error when your motor stops ?====>Driver Protection

- When you say : "M1 stop with high frequency noise", do you mean that your motor stops then you hear high frequency noise, or do you mean that your motor makes high frequency noise (maybe is shaking a bit ?), then stops with no noise afterwards ?====> motor stops then hear high frequency noise

PWM Frequency is 16kHz as default! I had try 15K & 12K but didn't make any improvement!

Motor information for your reference :

M1 : 18V/0.8A 2.8kRPM MAX, With Hall

M2 : 18V/3A/14.5kRPM MAX,With Hall

Hello kelvin.wang,

We tried to reproduce your issue in your lab, and we managed to run two motors simultaneously ; the only issue we were facing was occurring at high speeds. Have you tried running both motors at low speed first, then gradually increase motor speed to meet your needs ?

Since you are using two different motors, have you made sure that the Overcurrent Protection of the Stage 2 is disabled as recommended by Workbench ? Unfortunately, the comparator used for OCP in Stage 1 is the same as the one used for OCP in Stage 2, so you need to disable one of them to avoid ressource alignment conflict on the comparator. The reason we choose to disable OCP on Stage 2 instead of Stage 1 is that Stage 2 already benefits from the Driver Protection (which is not the case for Stage 1).

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

Hi Gael A,

That means if I swap 2 motor then I will not encounter the protection & stop issue ? Right ?