cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVSPIN32G4 - current measurement burst noise at high RPM

grisharevzin
Associate

Hi everyone!

I'm evaluating STSPIN32G4 for driving a small 6 kRPM 28-pole PMSM (up to about 30A load current - it's driving a propeller, 0.06 mH inductance, about 160 kV). Generally the performance is quite good, but I have noticed frequent STOPLL faults above a certain RPM. I tried many different tunes for the STOPLL but it didn't resolve the issue, and I went deeper. 

Turns out, above a certain RPM (~5k) bursty artifacts begin to appear in current measurement (In I_A, I_B and everything "above" it) and BEMF reconstruction becomes unreliable which I think upsets the STOPLL phase detector.

grisharevzin_1-1723638115227.png

grisharevzin_2-1723638149306.png

grisharevzin_0-1723637892305.png

This only happens:

• above a specific RPM
  • on a loaded motor
  • appears roughly where overmodulation starts to kick in
  • the "critical" RPM after it starts to appear go down if PWM frequency is increased 

I'm guessing it has something to do with the timing of current sampling (it probably samples the current at an invalid interval? or is it because of the distortion introduced by overmodulation?), and would appreciate pointers on where to dig further.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GMA
ST Employee

Hello @grisharevzin;

As shown on documentation available through "Workbench tool">About>Documentations>Documentation>"User manual" tab, "Overmodulation" link, "3. Over-modulation example", over-modulation increases the total harmonic distortion due to the non-possibility to sample two phase currents at a given period.
Is-it possible, for your use case, to use 6-Step Driving Algorithm that is also available on EVSPIN32G4 platform?

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GMA
ST Employee

Hello @grisharevzin

Thank you for your problem report.
Just for confirmation, does it mean that without Over Modulation, the issue is not visible?
Which version of MC workbench are you using?

If you agree with the answer, please accept it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.
Best regards.
GMA
grisharevzin
Associate

Hi @GMA,

Thanks for the response!

The version is MCSDK 6.3.0.

Without overmodulation I don't see the issue indeed but I'm also unable to reach the required speed without it (it goes up to about 4.8 kRPM wihtout overmodulation and our application range is 6 kRPM). The issue appears at about 5.2 kRPM with 30 kHz PWM frequency and at about 4.7 kRPM with 80 kHz PWM frequency.

I have also noticed that the T-rise & T-noise parameters in the FOC Wizard -> Current Sensing influence the RPM at which the problem appears (default T-noise is 1200 ns, and setting it to 100 ns moved the "critical" RPM to 5.7k) but I can't find them in the documentation and it's not clear what I'm changing here (though I guess it has to do with the timing of the exact moment when the ADCs sample the shunt voltage).

GMA
ST Employee

Hello @grisharevzin;

As shown on documentation available through "Workbench tool">About>Documentations>Documentation>"User manual" tab, "Overmodulation" link, "3. Over-modulation example", over-modulation increases the total harmonic distortion due to the non-possibility to sample two phase currents at a given period.
Is-it possible, for your use case, to use 6-Step Driving Algorithm that is also available on EVSPIN32G4 platform?

Best regards.
GMA
grisharevzin
Associate

Hi @GMA,

Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

Indeed, Trise and Tnoise are detailed in "Current sampling in three-shunt topology using two A/D converters" in the documentation, in cases 2 and 3.I was able to increase the max speed somewhat by adjusting Tnoise (it's probably best to do this with a scope...) -- or by reducing the PWM frequency.

I take it that overmodulation isn't taken into account in this field in the Workbench?

grisharevzin_0-1723897267604.png