cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-G431B-ESC1 Overcurrent

UniRob
Associate III

Hi everybody,

First of all I don't have experience in FOC.
I have profiled the motor, and the procedure was succesfully completed.
I use the motor profile to create a FOC project.
When I try to start the motor using the Motor Pilot an Overcurrent Error appen (in both mode speed and torque).
Now in normal motor drive the closed current loop regulate the 3-phases motor current by monitoring the current and comparing it to the setpoint created with torque reference respect
to the electrical motor angle, this means that if no short circuit is present, is not possible to get Overcurrent error.

Now in FOC the electrical angle before the motor start must be generated in some way that is not clear to me.

I try to change some paramiter as suggested in the help of Overcurrent error, but nothing change.
Any try give always Overcurrent error.

Using an osclilloscope to investigate, no current flow to the motor phases but systems give this error.

Board is ok because with 6 step methode everything work correct.

Can someone suggest something ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello UniRob,

In the B-ESC-G431, the Overcurrent are generated using internal comparators linked to the Timer BKIN. Please make sure the threshold values are coherent, as well as polarity.
Please send me your .stwb6 project file so I can take a look and try to reproduce. Do you have any motor specification to share ?

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Gael A
ST Employee

Hello UniRob,

Could you provide the MCSDK version as well as the board(s) you are currently using please ?
On another note, could you be more specific on the error behavior ? Is the Overcurrent occurring instantly after clicking on start ?

If you agree with my answer, please consider accepting it by clicking on 'Accept as solution'.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
UniRob
Associate III

MCSDK is 6.2.0

The board is B-G431B-ESC1

The overcurrent occur as soon I press start without delay.

The same appen in torque mode with 0A as soon I press start.

Gael A
ST Employee

Hello UniRob,

In the B-ESC-G431, the Overcurrent are generated using internal comparators linked to the Timer BKIN. Please make sure the threshold values are coherent, as well as polarity.
Please send me your .stwb6 project file so I can take a look and try to reproduce. Do you have any motor specification to share ?

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
UniRob
Associate III

Hi Gaels,

Attached the motor data (42PMD-100-24-x-6.8)

I'm not able to attach .stwb6 file, extension is not permitted, what can I do ?

Gael A
ST Employee

Hello UniRob,

Normally, copying your .stwb6 file in a .txt file should do the trick.

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.
UniRob
Associate III

Thanks, atrtached the file renamed in .TXT

Hello again UniRob,

I managed to replicate your project with a fairly similar motor, but unfortunately I can't reproduce your issue.

To be honest I believe your PWM frequency is a bit high but I don't think that's a problem here.
However, be aware that the ESC-G431 board needs to be cooled down (usually with a fan) to prevent any board damage. Also, have you made any hardware modification ?

You mentioned that you managed to profile the motor, could you use the same project, but go to the MotorPilot and try to make it run like this ?

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.

I try to increase PWM frequency because some times the low inductance of the motor need high frequency to obtain low current riple.

I agry with you that the board need coler, but the first problem is make it running.

I try now to star with the project used to profile the motor deselecting Prifle Mode (see attached file).

Now the motor run but don't follow speed reference (see attached file), seems that the speed detected is reverse, so the motor try go in fuge.

The diffence are that data inserted in Profiles are data taken from motor databook, other project take the data from motor profiled.

RPM 6800 from motor databook 5760 from motor profiled

RS = 0.28 Ohm from motor databook 0.12 Ohm from motor profiled

LS = 0.45 mH from motor databook 0.15 mH from motor profiled

B-emf 3.87V from motor databoot 3.532 from motor profiled

Can be this different parameter the problem ?

If yes why the profiler give this parameters as result ?

Phases order can be other problem for fuge ?

Thanks

Gael A
ST Employee

Hello UniRob,

I see in your motor Datasheet that its pole pair number is 8. However, in the project you gave me, you put 4 as value. Can you run the Profiler again while inserting the correct Pole Pair value and make a try once again ?

Hope this will help,
Gaël A.