cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-G431B-ESC1 Firmware Performance and De-sync Issues

SStee.1
Associate

I'm trying to create an esc for a drone using the B-G431B-ESC1. Our project requires that we use open source firmware so I'm using the STMCW firmware, and the motor profiler tool. I am comparing results to another ST-based esc that runs BLHeli firmware and another which runs SimonK firmware which are common and trusted ESC firmwares for drones.

I've profiled the motor with the propeller off which didn't work well at all. The motor wasn't able to start with the prop on due to the change in the mechanical model. I again profiled the motor with the prop on, and it works well up until a PWM input of 1750us, at which point the motor appears to stutter and de-sync, presumably throwing the esc into a fault state at which point the throttle must be lowered below the arming threshold for a short time, then raised again to restart the motor. Without the propeller on, the motor easily operates throughout the full range of the pwm input. I disabled all protection circuitry to verify that there wasn't some software protection that was kicking in and stopping the motor. Also, the thrust I'm achieving is about 55% of the thrust I get from the other escs at the same relative throttle input level.

I'm inclined to believe that the ST Firmware is somehow flawed or inferior to the other closed source options, but the difference is so drastic I assume I'm doing something wrong.

Any thought on how to fix these issues?

2 REPLIES 2
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Adding of STM32 Motor Control topic.

Best regards

DAlek
Associate II

ST Motor Control SDK is horrible. I have tried using B-G431B-ESC1 with different motors, mostly they did not worked well. Horrible products and software.