cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDCard (SDIO) connector on stm32f723e-disco

whati001
Associate II

Hi all,

is it possible to connect a SDCard to the stm32f723e-disco [1] board? The webpage [1] is talking about some microSD connector, but I do not really find one. So is this a mistake on the webpage?

Additionally, I would like to ask, if it is possible to expose the SDIO pins (CLK, CMD, DATA[0:3]) through the GPIO pins such as the Arduino header for example. This would allow us to connect an SDCard through a external break out board [2]. If so, would it be possible receive an example code how to do so?

Ideally would be some device tree configuration how to configure the PINCTRL, because I develope the application with Zephyr RTOS [3].

Thanks in advise.

Regards

Andi

[1] https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/32f723ediscovery.html

[2] https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-microsd-spi-sdio

[3] https://zephyrproject.org/intro-to-zephyr-rtos/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @whati001​, to the community!

The primary goal of all DISCOVERY is to be able to directly evaluate and work with the respective STM32 and the other components contained on it. In this specific case, microSD was mentioned, but the pins of the two SDMMC modules of the STM32F723IE actually intended for this purpose are already occupied by other functions and can therefore no longer be used.

Presumably the colleagues were referring to the mikroBUS connector, which can be used to connect an external module with a microSD slot called MICROSD CLICK, which can then be used to access microSD cards via SPI (i.e. not the native 4bit or 1bit SDMMC interface). The Adafruit breakout board you mentioned can certainly be used as well, but it would have to be connected via an adapter or using wires.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @whati001​, to the community!

The primary goal of all DISCOVERY is to be able to directly evaluate and work with the respective STM32 and the other components contained on it. In this specific case, microSD was mentioned, but the pins of the two SDMMC modules of the STM32F723IE actually intended for this purpose are already occupied by other functions and can therefore no longer be used.

Presumably the colleagues were referring to the mikroBUS connector, which can be used to connect an external module with a microSD slot called MICROSD CLICK, which can then be used to access microSD cards via SPI (i.e. not the native 4bit or 1bit SDMMC interface). The Adafruit breakout board you mentioned can certainly be used as well, but it would have to be connected via an adapter or using wires.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
whati001
Associate II

Hi Peter,

I see, thank you very much for the fast feedback. In this case I will take a look at the on-board flash memory connected via QSPI.

Regards,

Andi