cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am just about to start a journey as embedded software developer, and I am trying to familiarize myself with a STM32L1 discovery kit - the initial feeling is one of bewilderment.

JHove.1
Associate II

After I successfully attached the board to my laptop and ran the "Press a button to ...." tests my plan was to proceed to the source code of the demo application:

1. To read through the source code to familiarize with it.
  2. To compile it on my laptop
  3. To flash ti again on the devkit.

I was expecting to find the code e.g. as a zip file or a GitHub repository - but I I can not even find the code? I am most familar with Linux and my intention was to develop on that platform using gcc (arm-none-eabi-gcc)?

12 REPLIES 12
MM..1
Chief II
JHove.1
Associate II

Thank you - I have downloaded that and started it successfully - but I still need the source code? Or is it bundled in the IDE?

Then open it start new STM32 project wizard and choice your board

0693W00000WKfnMQAT.pngcomplete firmware pack install and empty project ...

Close it and open folder with repository on windows for example

c:\Users\username\STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_L0_V1.12.1\Projects\32L0538DISCOVERY\

here is Demo app, examples and docs.... ofcourse for you L1_V...

JHove.1
Associate II

Thank you for answering. Seems maybe my STM32CubeIDE is not complete?

0693W00000WKfpcQAD.png

JHove.1
Associate II

Got the Stm32CUBE to work - turns out there is a conflict between Wayland and the Eclipse tooling. When I disabled Wayland things worked.

TDK
Guru

You can load a bunch of examples in STM32CubeIDE with File -> New -> STM32 Project -> Example Selector.

There are also more that can be seen here:

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeL1/tree/master/Projects

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

No concrete examples, but some general thoughts of mine on basics of mcu programming, subject to discussion, here.

JW

S.Ma
Principal

Check if there is STM32.support for arduino simpler programming, so your learning goes by levels.

JHove.1
Associate II

Thank you for various answers. An Arduino is on the way.

I must admit I had expected the point of a "Discovery kit" was to provide a quite polished experience, but I guess I'll get there. Right now I am trying to compile the example which was instantiated when I selected the stm32L1 Discory kit. Compilation seems to work - no errors in the console - but when I try to "Run" (whatever that means in this context) I get the following window:

0693W00000WKicqQAD.png