cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I program and / or debug the microcontroller of a NUCLEO-H743ZI2 without the CN1 micro USB connector?

VNava.1
Associate III

Hello Community,

I have a curiosity to ask you. I have a NUCLEO-H743ZI2 without its micro USB connector (STLINK-V3E USB connector CN1).

I would like to know if it was possible to continue programming and debugging on the microcontroller integrated into the board using other ways.

Below I have reported some information that I was able to obtain from the manual. I saw that the signals of interest are 4: VBUS, GND, DM and DP. In the schematic below you can see that the DM and DM pins pass through a common mode filter and then arrive at pins PB14 and PB15 of the ST-LINK microcontroller. However, these pins are not accessible in any other way than through the CN1 connector. For this reason I imagined that there was no other way to continue programming the micro from a PC.

0693W00000JPzSqQAL.png 

However, in the manual of this NUCLEO is said that there is a second way to program and debug the microcontroller. It is said that an external debugging tool can be connected to the CN5 MIPI-10 connector. I think it refers to the JTAG. Is this the only other solution? If this were the only alternative for programming and debugging, which tool should I use? Could you tell me?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Other SWD/JTAG pods, another ST-LINK?

S​TM32 Cube Programmer for USB, UART, CAN connectivity?

U​SART output of diagnostics and debug telemetry to terminal?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
VNava.1
Associate III

sorry for the poor quality of the picture, if necessary I can upload it with better quality

Couldn't you more directly attach the SWDIO, SWCLK, SWO and NRST​ pins of the Target MCU?

Or use ROM based System Loader functions and options via BOOT pin assertion?​

Other SWD/JTAG pods, another ST-LINK?

S​TM32 Cube Programmer for USB, UART, CAN connectivity?

U​SART output of diagnostics and debug telemetry to terminal?

MM..1
Chief II

From your question is clean, that you dont understand how is and how work STLink.

https://www.st.com/bin/ecommerce/api/image.PF264741.en.feature-description-include-personalized-no-cpn-medium.jpg

Here you can see example board and two parts. Upper part is STLink programmer/debuger hw and can be all cut from board. And reply for your question you can programm main board bottom part with

1. Other STLink board this can too debug
  2. System bootloader and all supported interfaces described in AN2606