cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bxCAN HAL HAL_CAN_RxFifo0MsgPendingCallback behavior - callback being called repeatedly

Brian Rau
Associate III

Using STM32L452 and HAL version 1.17.2 with FreeRTOS. I'm new to CAN, and am trying to set up a simple one-to-one communication scheme without filters (only two devices on this CANbus talking to each other). I've implemented the RX FIFO message pending callback such that it simply sends a FreeRTOS notifier:

void HAL_CAN_RxFifo0MsgPendingCallback(CAN_HandleTypeDef *hcan)

{

BaseType_t xHigherPriorityTaskWoken = pdFALSE;

if (xTaskGetSchedulerState() != taskSCHEDULER_NOT_STARTED) // Be sure CAN RX task is running before we try to wake it

{

HAL_CAN_DeactivateNotification(&hcan1, CAN_IT_RX_FIFO0_MSG_PENDING); //BDRTEMP Disable this interrupt until the RX task services

vTaskNotifyGiveFromISR(CANRxTaskHandle, &xHigherPriorityTaskWoken); // Wake the CAN RX task

portYIELD_FROM_ISR(xHigherPriorityTaskWoken);

}

}

The notifier wakes up a FreeRTOS task that reads the CANbus message and processes it:

void StartCANRxTask(void const * argument)

{

/* USER CODE BEGIN StartCanRxTask */

BaseType_t status;

/* Infinite loop */

for(;;)

{

// Wait for data ready semaphore

ulTaskNotifyTake(pdTRUE, portMAX_DELAY);

// CAN data received, process it

if (HAL_CAN_GetRxMessage(&hcan1, CAN_RX_FIFO0, &RxHeader, RxData) == HAL_OK)

{

CANProcessRxData(&RxHeader, &RxData[0]);

}

HAL_CAN_ActivateNotification(&hcan1, CAN_IT_RX_FIFO0_MSG_PENDING); //BDRTEMP Re-enable interrupt

/* USER CODE END StartCANRxTask */

}

What I'm puzzled about is this: If I don't use HAL_CAN_DeactivateNotification() in the RX callback as above (line with "//BDRTEMP"), the RX callback is called continually and the CAN RX task never gets a chance to read and process the received CAN message. I have to use HAL_CAN_DeactivateNotification() and HAL_CAN_ActivateNotification() as above to allow this scheme to function. Is this normal behavior for the CAN peripheral and HAL? Is there a more elegant way to keep the RX callback from just retriggering continually and allow the task to wake up and read the message? Incidentally, UM1884 seems to suggest in section 9.2.1 ("Interrupt mode operation", item 3) that this is the way it has to be done, it just seems really inelegant.

1 REPLY 1
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

Since you are new to CAN, I suggest to use it firstly without RTOS. After being familiar with it you can move on by adding RTOS.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.