cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we choose LSE capacitance low?

Freedom_Neo
Senior

STM32H7B3I-DK - Discovery kit use NX3215SA-32.768KHZ-EXS00A-MU00525 Crystal. Crystal Load Capacitance is 6, 9, 12.5 pF but STM32H7B3I-DK - Discovery kit use 1.5pF. Why it use different load capacitance.

0693W00000LwI0nQAF.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

First, you must be sure that your crystal is compatible with the selected STM32 LSE. Then, it is highly recommended to use a crystal with low pullability, that is with CL ≥ 6 pF:

7 pF is a good compromise between low drift and moderate power consumption

9 and 12.5 pF can be used in noisy environments, but impact the power consumption.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Piranha
Chief II

> Read AN2867.

Which part of this sentence from the previous topic you do not understand?

First, you must be sure that your crystal is compatible with the selected STM32 LSE. Then, it is highly recommended to use a crystal with low pullability, that is with CL ≥ 6 pF:

7 pF is a good compromise between low drift and moderate power consumption

9 and 12.5 pF can be used in noisy environments, but impact the power consumption.

Hi @Piranha​ I created new a thread for information.

Peter did ask for a new thread based on different STM32. Back-linking so can find later.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00001ScZorSAF/internal-rtc-clock-lag-issue

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

That quote doesn't even answer your question about the capacitors.

I'll tell you a secret - to understand a load capacitance, you should at least read the section called "Load capacitance"!

Hi @Piranha​ Load capasitans inclueds a formule. How we know the stray capacitance (CS) value? Should we choose an estimated value? Can we know its real value?

0693W00000LwIQlQAN.png