cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is .ioc file for Demo program for Nucleo board?

xst
Associate II

Hello Everyone,

I have the Nucleo NUCLEO-H743ZI board.
I have powered it up and it performs as advertised.

I want to experiment and make some changes to the board programming.

I searched st.com site and found the file with all the demo software.
It was a huge 530+ megabyte Zip file.
I downloaded it and extracted it and found the files specifically for my Nucleo board.

I ran CubeMX and tried to "load" or "import" the project file for CubeMX.
As I understand this it, the CubeMX project file has an extension:    .ioc

Unfortunately I cannot find it.

I used a file utility and searched hard disk for all of the files of all the demo software ( 1.1 gigabyte unzipped ) and there are no   .ioc   files at all!

Am I missing something?

Sadly, after reading various similar posts on this forum, I think that the Demo app was NOT developed with CubeMX so there is no file:   .ioc  

Question:  Am I correct?   

OK, so given the Nucleo board, I can start over from scratch in CubeMX, and proceed to CubeIDE.

If for any reason, I want to re-establich the Nucleo with the original factory programming, I can accomplish that from within CubeIDE by loading the project as supplied by st.com in the above-mentioned mega-download.

Question:  Again, am I correct in this?

Many thanks. This is great forum.

Best,

xst

3 REPLIES 3
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Hi,

You are correct, the ST examples for H743 do not come with .ioc files for some reasons. Newer MCUs and boards already have .ioc files and CubeIDE projects in the examples.

so given the Nucleo board, I can start over from scratch in CubeMX, and proceed to CubeIDE.

Correct.

I can accomplish that from within CubeIDE by loading the project as supplied by st.com in the above-mentioned mega-download.

The "mega download" is exactly the same CubeH7 library package that CubeMX and CubeIDE will automatically download and install when you create a project. All these libraries and examples are installed in the directory specified in the Package manager. No need to download it again, unless you want a different version. 

Also, these libraries and examples are published on github. You can conveniently browse them online and download only what you want. But again there are extra humps for old boards - the examples have to be converted for CubeIDE from something else. So it is recommended to let the CubeMX/IDE to download and install the "mega download", it will save time.  If you want .ioc file for a specific H743 example, you can request it here.

Thanks Pavel,

Hello again to you !

Good explanation.  It was more than I asked for and was ALL useful.

Thank you.

Best to you,

xst

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@xst you're welcome!