cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: The core is locked up

dv.13
Associate II

For our device, we are using STM32H750 IC. in some 100 PCBs manufactured at our company, in 1 or 2 PCBs we cannot program the blank MCU and get this warning in STM32CubeProgrammer. "Warning: The core is locked up"

What can be the issue? any specific pin is getting short or open due to PCB hardware issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @dv.13 (Community Member)​ ,

My bad, I missed this detail. If it is not a PCB related problem and you think that it is a quality issue, you need to start a FAR with your FAE or ST contact.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SBEN .2
Senior II

H3llo @dv.13​ ,

This could be a misconfigured option byte issue. See if PCROP is checked and uncheck it if is the case (see STM32CubeProgrammer User manual section 2.4). A hardware failure is also possible (Issue with some JTAG pins) a would be the most probable if the MCU is really blank. Down below are the JTAG pins for STM32H750x (strait from the reference manual):

0693W00000BcdIOQAZ.png 

Best regards,

@SBEN .2​ 

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @dv.13​ ,

Another possible root cause of the connection issue to STM32H7 device is a power supply misconfiguration. This is deeply explained in the article Unable to connect to STM32H7 devices.

It is helpful to keep us informed about the status of the issue you are facing.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi,

PCROP is unchecked. I tried to toggle it, but it gives error "Option bit programming failed". even Mass Erase is also not working.

the same IC got programmed on other PCB. So this might be some hardware issue.

I checked for above pins if they are short to some other pin or gnd or 3.3V or open but no luck.

any other pin to be checked?

Hi,

the chip is blank, and the same program runs well on other similar PCBs. so power supply misconfiguration may not be the cause.

Hello @dv.13​ ,

Another thing you can do is have a new blank chip installed on the said board. If the issue is reproduced, then it's a PCB issue which might be frying the chip.

Best regards,

@SBEN .2​ 

Hi @dv.13 (Community Member)​ ,

My bad, I missed this detail. If it is not a PCB related problem and you think that it is a quality issue, you need to start a FAR with your FAE or ST contact.

-Amel

HRodr.1
Associate

Where is PCROB check box ?

Hi @HRodr.1​ ,

Is your question in the same context of initial one?

As this is an old thread, it is preferable to submit a new question where you provide some more details.

If your question is related to STM32CubeProgrammer, please refer to UM2237 and check the Options Bytes section.

-Amel