cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407VET6 is not working with STM32CubeIDE. "No ST-Link Detected"

KBerc.3
Associate

to start, i would like to say that i was taking Udemy Course related to Embedded C - Absolute Beginners. in the tutorial it was not clearly explain how to port the STM32 and connect it to IDE. this are the chronological order:

1. i first i try to install the IDE. in the installation there is an option to install Segger J-Link Drivers and ST-Link Drivers. i both check so i should have both install....
  2. next, since do not have hardware by that time, i just do coding. my project are building properly when i compile it so im expecting its not coding problem.
  3. after 1 week i finally got my STM32F407VET6 which has a mini USB. so i tried to connect it to my laptop. i tried to open a simple LED Blink but when i try to Run As or Debug As to 1STM32C/C++Application, it doesnt compile. it says "No ST-Link Detected! Please connect ST-LINK and Restart the debug session"
  4. So in the Udemy's Q&A i tried to keep searching and some people said i should install this 2: STSW-Link007 and STSW-Link009
  5. ok cool. i downloaded both, extracted and tried them. first, i removed my usb cable then install Link009's file. just typical installation and everything seems ok 0693W00000aI68LQAS.jpg
  6. now i tried to open the STSW-Link007 and reconnect my usb cable to my laptop. when i opened the STSW-Link007, this is where another problem kicks in: as you can see below it there is another error 0693W00000aI68uQAC.jpg

So im very confused. i can't progress at all. first there is no ST-Link detected in STM32CubeIDE and now to STSW-Link007. So i would like to ask. where did i go wrong? I've been doing this for 1 and a half day ever since it was delivery but nothing works. I highly appreciate any help. This is my first time interfacing with STM32 pheripheral so there might be something i missed....

Others:

in a 1 Q&A, someone said i should do this: in the Getting Started in Page 9 of this Manual i should follow the steps. but i cant exactly follow it as there is different ports in my STM32. so i do not know the equivalent of that in my VET6. additionally im not sure if this is the correct solution as well, though worth mentioning if one of the solution, if not the exact solution.

My STM32f4070693W00000aI6AMQA0.jpg0693W00000aI6AWQA0.jpg0693W00000aI6ARQA0.jpg 

Materials:

• STM32CubeIDE Version: 1.11.2 - Build: 14494_20230119_0724 (UTC)
  • STM32F407VET6
  • Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6
KnarfB
Principal III

ST-LINK is a separate chip used for debugging. Seems that your board doesn't have it. Find the schematics of your board and try to attach a separate ST-LINK dongle. Or, easier: get a genuine STM32F4DISCOVERY or STM Nucleo board which already have it.

hth

KnarfB

Rim LANDOLSI
ST Employee

Hello @KBerc.3​  ,

At first, welcome to the community.

Could you please check this points:

1. Check that STLinkServer is installed.
  2. Try to use cube programmer and check if you can see and connect to your chip. If you can see and connect to the chip,you could double check your IDE debugger settings.
  3. Check that STLink usb drivers are installed , they will be installed with STM32CubeIde installer.
  4. when you plug the board to the PC, It should enumerate as a STLink debug probe in device manager.

I will be waiting for your feedback.

Regards,

Rim

AScha.3
Chief II

on your dev-e board is no STlink, you have it to connect here:

0693W00000aI8w4QAC.pngSWD connector: gnd, swd(dio), swc (clk) ; solder pin header here, connect to some debug probe : Jlink, STlink , ...

maybe some cheap clone:

0693W00000aI9AKQA0.pngor better :

0693W00000aI9AtQAK.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AShar.17
Associate

OMG you are going through exactly the same thing I am right now,I too have enrolled in the Embedded C course and got stuck at this same point and still not found a solution

Unlike though I have the STM32F407 Discovery board with the on-borad ST-Link/V2 but still nothing is working

I cannot proceed because for some reason my ST-Link is not detected by my laptop. It is so annoying to get stuck at the first step of my embedded journey. I have been trying stuff but nothing seems to work,

0693W00000aINCjQAO.jpg0693W00000aINFOQA4.pngI installed the driver from the st website still i get the same error. The " Getting started" steps are working, the tilting LED response and cursor movement when I connect both cabled to the laptop but when I go to debug my Target program of a simple "Hello World " the same error shows :"No ST- LINK detected.Please connect the ST-LINK and restart the debug session"

0693W00000aIMvUQAW.jpgWhen I do connect the board,Control panel shows the following change and this appears saying "Unknown USB Device(Device Descriptor Request Failed)" while the Board still has the running pre-loaded program of 4 LEDs and MEMS(if if push the button) meaning the power is reaching through my cable

0693W00000aINBSQA4.jpgI have been stuck here for so long and not able to proceed from the first step of the whole journey to learn Embedded C, please help.

Things I tried:I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times(tried the ones on website too-which are the same) ,Uninstalled and reinstalled the whole IDE and also checked by installing in different drives (C & D),Checked Hardware and Devices troubleshooting,Updated Windows, Tried to provide the driver location to the above highlighted Unknown USB Device driver to the location where drivers are of STSW-LINK009 etc

but nothing is working and I have not been able to even write my first program on the board!

Is my ST-Link harware damaged/soldering error or what else is out of place? I will also try out a new cable tomorrow once i get one but I don't know how likely it is(as I read in someone else who had the same problem).

Please help. I would be very very grateful.

KBerc.3
Associate

thanks for answering Rim LANDOLSI and Ascha 3. i currently ordered a different STM32 board. this time from STM32 shop. not in their shop but their website is out of stock but one of their distributer is redirecting me is to DIGI KEYS where the provider/manufacturer is STMicroelectronics too. currently on its way to my home. prbably within this weekday. it is still on shipping since so ill give update as soon as it arrive. i decided to give up this stm32 and buy a non-clone one or atleast the compatible one.

apologize for not answering asap. i was very busy outside of internet doing personal stuffs so it took time for this to enter in my notifications.

Best Regards, Keanu.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Do Not Panic! (C)

First, check that your ST-LINK is not damaged.

Disconnect it from the target and connect (the USB end, of course) to some other good PC.

It does not matter if ST-LINK driver is not installed there (or you don't know) - do not install anything.

Open Device Manager and look for the ST-Link there (even if driver is not installed, it will be visible under USB devices). On Linux, use sudo lsusb.

If not visible, or "Device Descriptor request failed" - try to replace the USB cable and/or connect thru a powered USB hub.

If nothing of this helped, your ST-LINK likely finished its useful life.

​Otherwise, connect ST-LINK to the target and check again. Still alive? Great, move it to your work machine (where you have installed the drivers and the rest of tools).

If you see "no ST-LINK detected" now, this should be purely software issue.

This includes refusal of new ST tools to work with fake ST-LINKv2 copies.