cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 F405 Feather Won't Connect to Arduino IDE

vs13
Associate II

I'm trying to use Arduino 2.3.2 with an STM32F405 board and I configured it to use these recommended settings, but I can't open the Serial monitor for the board. It can connect to my laptop and even upload code successfully, but I can't access the ports menu and receive Serial output from the board.

I'm able to get the Ports menu to open back up if I go into the Device Manager and add additional ports, but usually my boards use COM3 or COM5, which I cannot access through the ports menu. All of the legacy hardware I install (tried the Arduino USB Serial adapter and the STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port) will only install in ports after 5. I was only able to get it working once, and that was when I was able to connect to COM5, but I don't know what happened to allow access to COM5, and it stopped working as soon as I attempted to upload a different sketch to the board.

21 REPLIES 21
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

@vs13 wrote:

it stopped working as soon as I attempted to upload a different sketch to the board.

So what, exactly, was the sketch that you uploaded?

Have you tried erasing it, and starting again from scratch?

@vs13 wrote:

I configured it to use these recommended settings, .

That page says you have to manually put the board into bootloader mode every time you want to upload - are you doing that?

Not sure if this is really an ST problem - or something for Arduino and/or Adafruit?

https://forums.adafruit.com/

https://forum.arduino.cc/c/software/ide-2-x/93 

You'd need a loader on the board to manifest a serial port, or the code you upload would need to a USB Device.

The ROM based loader can present as a DFU Device, "STM32 BOOT LOADER" type instance, and STM32 Cube Programmer can push code in that way.

This is not an Arduino centric forum, there are others which are.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

So what, exactly, was the sketch that you uploaded?

Have you tried erasing it, and starting again from scratch?

Here's the sketch. I've just been going through trying to figure out how to use all of the board's features, and Serial has had the biggest hang up. 

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("Can read Serial!");
  delay(500);
}

I haven't tried erasing the sketch, but I've tried to upload separate programs and new versions of this one and none have fixed the issue.

That page says you have to manually put the board into bootloader mode every time you want to upload - are you doing that?

Yes, I am putting the board into bootloader mode every time I upload. The upload seems to be happening successfully, but I can't connect to and read the Serial output after I disconnect the wire and press the Reset button.

@Tesla DeLorean wrote:

You'd need a loader on the board to manifest a serial port, or the code you upload would need to a USB Device.

The ROM based loader can present as a DFU Device, "STM32 BOOT LOADER" type instance, and STM32 Cube Programmer can push code in that way.

My feather board shows up as "STM32 BOOTLOADER" in my Device Manager when I connect it to my laptop, and Cube Programmmer is able to push code to the board, but I can't open Serial using the SWV

@Tesla DeLorean wrote:

This is not an Arduino centric forum, there are others which are.

I've also made this post on Arduino's forum, but I thought I would also reach out here in case my problem was actually specific to the board I am using. 

@vs13 wrote:

My feather board shows up as "STM32 BOOTLOADER" in my Device Manager . 

So it's just in the bootloader - not running your app?

Techn
Senior II

After the code is uploaded, press reset,  check device manager, serial ports. In arduino change the serial port as per device manager and then open serial monitor 

@Andrew Neil wrote:

So it's just in the bootloader - not running your app?

After I upload the code to the board, I disconnect the wire pulling B0 high and press the Reset button to start running the program. Once I disconnect the wire, it doesn't show up in my Device Manager anymore, and the Serial Monitor can't connect in any stage of this process.

vs13
Associate II

@Techn wrote:

After the code is uploaded, press reset,  check device manager, serial ports. In arduino change the serial port as per device manager and then open serial monitor 

When the board is connected in bootloader mode, all of the serial ports show as disconnected (greyed out and hidden) in the Device Manager. When I disconnect bootloader mode, the board disappears from my device list and the Serial ports are still hidden and grayed out.

Techn
Senior II

Is B0 connected to gnd via resistor else ground b0 and press reset. Can you send me the schematic of your board?