cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink-V3PWR Bridge

Roadrunner1805
Associate III

Hi,

I'm using a STLink-V3PWR. I have seen in the doc AN5999 that it's possible with the bridge to measure current/power consumption. Is there any DLL/API/Lib or C-Code example available for this?

BR Sebastian

8 REPLIES 8
jiangfan
ST Employee

try STM32CubeMonitor-Power (STM32CubeMonPwr) 

I'm already using this tool. But I want to develop my own application to measure current/power. So therefore I'm asking for the DLL...

OK, this is the advanced use of the tool (hardware and software), it is interesting, but I suppose it is not supported yet. I don't know if the advanced use (driver API open to customers) be supported in the future. Perhaps it depends on the needs of the customer.

I just ask because on doc AN5999 site 51 is an example to use the STLINK-V3 bridge API and power consumption functions via serial COM port communication. So I thought if there is no example available. An DLL would be better of course.

OK, I read some documents:

AN5999: How to use STLINK-V3PWR to monitor power consumption on STM32 MCUs
UM3097: Source measurement unit (SMU) and debugger/programmer for STM32 microcontrollers
UM2269: Getting started with PowerShield firmware

AN5999 page 8 mentions:

The communication between the computer and the STLINK-V3PWR power interface is based on a specific
syntax, described in UM2269: Getting started with PowerShield firmware.

besides:  Figure 4. Example of STLINK-V3PWR communication using Tera Term software

If I understand correctly, it is possible for user to implement something like what STM32CubeMonPwr does:

- user develops software that controls COM port of - Stlink virtual COM port PWR (as shown AN5999 page 8 )

- using commands described in UM2269

Before developing such software, I think it is better to perform manual operation/command via COM port of - Stlink virtual COM port PWR using terminal emulator software like Tera Term.

videojames
Associate III

I am also interested in control/operation of STLink-V3PWR.
For use in own software. Preferably via a CLI interface. 

It seems that this is possible with the X-NUCLEO-LPM01A board, so it seems reasonable to have similar functionality with the V3PWR, or straight from the STM32CubeMonitor-Power software.
https://community.st.com/t5/stm32cubemonitor-mcus/is-there-a-way-to-use-the-stm32cubemonitor-power-in-a-headless/td-p/66231

Roadrunner1805
Associate III

The best will be to have a DLL or API. I guess STM32CubeMonitor-Power software uses such a DLL or API right? It would be also great to get the avg value from PowerShield firmware.

Hello,

As Jiangfan already answered the powershield UM2269 describes the PowerShield VCP commands,  a new document updated for STLINK-V3PWR  will be done to provide the STLINK-V3PWR VCP commands.  STM32CubeMonitor-Power uses these commands on the VCP-PWR interface to communicate with the  STLINK-V3PWR.

In the meantime connecting with a putty/teraterm tool to the STLink Virtual COM Port PWR and doing "stlp > help" will give you the list of supported STLINK-V3PWR command.

Best regards