cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink V3MINIE no target voltage

Seba52
Associate II

I have the STLink V3MINIE. When connected to the PC the red power LED is on. But I can't program any device because there is not target voltage. 

ST Prog (v2.17) shows Target voltage 0.00 V

How can I fix this? Is there a jumper or solder connection missing on the stlink? Or is the board damaged?

Screenshot 2024-07-30 093547.jpg

Thanks for help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

> What is the suggested way to program a STM32 that has no external power only with a  STLINK?

You need to get it power somehow. It's up to the board designer to determine how best to get it power. How will it get power when the programmer is not connected?

> Would it be save to connect these 2 pads if current consumption of my PCB is low? 

Likely, yes. If it's directly off of the LDO on the board, almost definitely yes.

> Is there a schematic availible for the MINIE board?

Unfortunately not.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TDK
Guru

The programmer does not supply power to the board.

Is the board powered? What board is this?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@TDK wrote:

Is the board powered? 

@Seba52 - and is the the Target voltage sense input correctly connected to the ST-Link?

Seba52
Associate II

I have connected the stlink to a custom board, was not aware, that the MINIE does not give out a voltage. 

If I power my PCB externaly it works and the voltage is displayed 🙂 

What is the suggested way to program a STM32 that has no external power only with a  STLINK?

I found a pin that has the needed 3.3V on the MINIE board. Would it be save to connect these 2 pads if current consumption of my PCB is low? 

Is there a schematic availible for the MINIE board?

MINIE.jpg

Thanks!

> What is the suggested way to program a STM32 that has no external power only with a  STLINK?

You need to get it power somehow. It's up to the board designer to determine how best to get it power. How will it get power when the programmer is not connected?

> Would it be save to connect these 2 pads if current consumption of my PCB is low? 

Likely, yes. If it's directly off of the LDO on the board, almost definitely yes.

> Is there a schematic availible for the MINIE board?

Unfortunately not.

Seba52
Associate II

@TDK wrote:

There is a way to power the board when in normal use. But how do people usually power the STM32 for programming in production? Or do I need to build a custom board using the STLINK-V3MODS? 

It really would be nice to have a (solder) jumper on the STLINK boards to send power to the T_VCC pin. 

My initial question is answered now, thanks! 

@Seba52 wrote:

how do people usually power the STM32 for programming in production?

Feed power via your programming jig / fixture / connector.

It really would be nice to have a (solder) jumper on the STLINK boards to send power to the T_VCC pin. 

But the purpose of that pin is to sense the Target voltage - not to supply power.

It's an input to the ST-Link.

This is commonly used to identify when a target is present .

For low quantities, generally people will power it normally, attach the debugger and program.

For large quantities, you can either have the supplier program the chip before it gets to you, or you can create a fixture which provides power and programming pins. One can also use a custom programming header which provides these things.

The convention of not providing power from the programmer is common since the programmer may be running at a different voltage. Just something you have to know. The 10-pin header pinout is specified by ARM and ST is simply following the standard here.

Seba52
Associate II

Thanks, I think the custom programming header is the way to go. 

Interesting fact, that the 10-pin header is ARM design. Did not know it. 

@Seba52 wrote:

Thanks, I think the custom programming header is the way to go. 

Note that you don't need to fit an actual header.

You could just provide pads, and use a "bed of nails" (aka "pogo pins") to contact those pads.

eg, https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-make-a-pogo-pin-test-jig/overview

Another option (especially if space is very tight on the board) is to have the programming connections on the "scrap" part of the PCB panel - then they just get broken off when the individual PCBs are broken out of the panel.

Much like the way the ST-Link part can be broken off from a Nucleo-64 board