cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link V3 Max Number of Connections? (Three not working)

Garnett.Robert
Senior III

Hi,

I have three STM32H7B3IDK

They all have different serial numbers.

I am running two boards OK one on the old STMStudio gathering data the other connected to CubeIDE.

I can connect the third and can scan for it in CubeIDE and CubeProgrammer, but when I try to connect i get a connection errror.

0693W00000Kc1k1QAB.pngWhen I try to debug the third board in CubeIDE I get:

Dialog Box:

Error in final launch sequence:

Failed to start GDB server

Failed to start GDB server

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: (0) Unknown. Please check power and cabling to target.

Console:

Starting server with the following options:

Persistent Mode           : Disabled

Logging Level             : 1

Listen Port Number        : 61234

Status Refresh Delay      : 15s

Verbose Mode              : Disabled

SWD Debug                 : Enabled

InitWhile                 : Enabled

Failed to bind to port 61235, error code -1: No error

Failure starting SWV server on TCP port: 61235

Failed to bind to port 61234, error code -1: No error

Failure starting GDB server: TCP port 61234 not available.

Shutting down...

Exit.

I can connect, program and update the ST-Link firmware on all of the boards, but when a third one is plugged in I can update its firmware, but not connect to it.

I have tried three different USB ports and two different USB cables. All with the same result.

When I plug the third board in the comm port gets activated and the file explorer opens showing the MBED.HTM and DETAILS.TXT.

I am running IDE 1.9.0 and Programmer 2.10.0.

Is there a limit on the number of connections you can have or is this some sort of problem.

I often have two boards connected; one undergoing a production test, the other being used for development. I think? this is the first time I've tried three boards.

Regards

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Garnett.Robert
Senior III

The problem turned out to be STMStudio. I had this running on a Disco. board. STMStudio doesn't seem to cooperate with the latest drivers/software. It also prevented the Programmer from connecting to targets.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RDrum.1
Associate III

Ever since upgrading to 1.9.0 my STLink V3 (Mini or SET) don't recognise in Device manager at all, and obviously Cube IDE doesn't see them either.

This is a major problem- we have production units to get going.

UPDATE: Sorry- ignore, it was a bad USB cable. grrr.

Have you ever found a "GOOD" USB cable? It doesn't matter how good the cable is USB *****.

Garnett.Robert
Senior III

The problem turned out to be STMStudio. I had this running on a Disco. board. STMStudio doesn't seem to cooperate with the latest drivers/software. It also prevented the Programmer from connecting to targets.

You may need to update TrueSTUDIO (unofficial method)

Sure I've had many 'bad' USB cables, normally with intermittent breaks near the connectors.

My particular cable was a charging only cable, and had no data connections. It had no unique identifying marks showing this was the case.

It has now been permanently decommissioned.

Hi N91

I will have a go at it.

Thanks

Rob