cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST Link upgrade error

VKoga.1
Associate II

0693W00000GZ9HFQA1.pngWhile I was working to upload firmware to a board STM32CubeIDE refused to upload code until i had updated ST Link from V2.J25.S7 to V2.J39.S7, while I wanted to comply I am getting the following error. Any help is appreciated.

0693W00000GZ9HFQA1.png

19 REPLIES 19

0693W00000GZUkcQAH.jpg0693W00000GZUkIQAX.jpg

0693W00000GZUkcQAH.jpg0693W00000GZUkIQAX.jpg 

Images of the device I have. Only single ST link is available with me.

LBarl.1
Associate

Was there a solution to this as I also have the same issue trying to upgrade from V2.J37.S7 to V2.J39.S7. My device which is the same as the image above has the part number A2021 04.

The log file shows the following:

******************* GDI DUMP => Date : Wed Jan 26 10:24:40 2022

ErasePages (0) bad status (3, 4)

**** End of GDI DUMP ****

VKoga.1
Associate II

I dont think there is a solution to this, best thing to do is move away from st.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The ST-LINK/V2 is used by a very large number of users worldwide and can be easily upgraded even from very older firmware versions. I have also just verified this by upgrading a couple of very old ST-LINK/V2 from V2J28S7 to V2J39S7 - no problems at all.

However, as I am only now noticing, the screenshot at the top is of the ST-LINK Utility, which is now no longer recommended for use. Instead, one should use the STM32CubeProgrammer or directly STM32CubeIDE, which both contain the upgrade function and are up to date.

If your ST-LINK/V2 still cannot be upgraded or other problems occur that cannot be solved with a known good Mini-USB cable or another USB port, you should contact your distributor for a replacement.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
calvfoo
Associate II

I have the same error.

original st-link v2.0693W00000Y8IWvQAN.png

calvfoo
Associate II

here is my st-link/v2

0693W00000Y8IXAQA3.png

Unfortunately, the ST-LINK/V2 were and are illegally copied by some counterfeiters without using original components. These counterfeiters want to earn money without having developed the hardware, and on top of that they want to use ST's software updates for free.

For full support and warranty for our customers, ST cannot offer software updates for counterfeits.

By the way, there is the possibility to recognise the counterfeit as such by opening the ST-LINK/V2, which however visibly destroys the label on the back. You can find an example in this thread.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
calvfoo
Associate II

Thank you. I have since able to tell which is counterfeit and which is not.

Good that I have an old ST Link V2 (original) unit lying around, and was able to upgrade it and use it.

Thank you.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Update: meanwhile there is a knowledge base article on the topic: How to recognize a genuine ST-Link/V2 versus a cloned one?, created by Amel NASRI.

Regards

/Peter