cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link on Nucleos: F7 vs H7 - Limitations?

LCE
Principal

Hello,

last year I designed a prototype pcb with a F767, for programming I used the Nucleo-F767's SWD interface (with some jumpers switched), that worked perfectly.

Now I need to re-design that board, but with a H723/H733, and I just checked the Nucleo-H723 I've been working with, and I see that the ST-Link part is completely different, mostly SWD connector layout, and no more options with jumpers.

For now I would like to keep using the Nucleo-F767 including connector layout, but are there any limitations concerning MCU type or anything else?
Specifically, can I program / flash / debug a H723 with a Nucleo-F767's ST-Link?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Nucleo-H7's have ST-LINK version 3 and the "standard" mini 10-pin connector, and Nucleo F7 has ST-LINKv2. The SWD pins should be compatible. There is no good reason not to get a new ST-LINKv3 to debug your H723. This is much easier than hook a 2nd Nucleo and faster because v.3 has high-speed USB. New ST-Links v3 have 14-pin connector and cable, two extra pins on each side. The central 10 pins are same as on the 10-pin connector, two side pins are for the VCP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Nucleo-H7's have ST-LINK version 3 and the "standard" mini 10-pin connector, and Nucleo F7 has ST-LINKv2. The SWD pins should be compatible. There is no good reason not to get a new ST-LINKv3 to debug your H723. This is much easier than hook a 2nd Nucleo and faster because v.3 has high-speed USB. New ST-Links v3 have 14-pin connector and cable, two extra pins on each side. The central 10 pins are same as on the 10-pin connector, two side pins are for the VCP.

ST-LINK/V2 will work fine, just slower

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LCE
Principal

Thanks, guys!

So yeah, for production later on I should directly go for the 14-pin connector, including the VCP.