Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link on Nucleo-H743ZI2 to be converted to J-Link in order to use with vscode

mbristol
Associate II

Hello,

Please correct if I am wrong.

I have a nucleo-H743ZI2, with on board ST-Link debugger, which firmware has been update to V3 when plugged in.

My goal is to use vscode IDE under linux, although creating the basic sources files using the STMcubeMX with makefile output.

It nearly all go well, along with the STMcubeprogrammer cli, i can create in vscode, a task to clean, build and flash to the nucleo-h743zi2.

However, debugin in vscode is missing.

I have installed the cortex-debug extension, I have also installed on the same PC, STMcubeIDE (which installed armToolchainPath (ie arm-none-eabi-gdb etc.), but I cannot find any debugger task options to use the ST-link server in vscode.

Therefore, I was planning to convert my ST-Link on board firmware to J-link using the J-Link reflash tool available online. But, by reading some posts, the reflash tool does not recognises ST-link V3 because the nucleo-h743zi2 has the appropriate j-link connector fitted, therefore a physical J-link probe can be used, but NOT the USB ST-Link converted to J-Link.

My question, is there a way to downgrade my ST-link V3 to V2, to then convert it into J-link? to then be able to use the j-link server in vscode task?

if yes... how ?

Note, on the same PC, using STMCubeIDE, and STMcubeMX to generate the code, I can clean, build, flash and debug, using the ST-link V3.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

>>My question, is there a way to downgrade my ST-link V3 to V2, to then convert it into J-link? to then be able to use the j-link server in vscode task?

Uses entirely different processor, so no.

You would have to get Segger to port their implementation to ST-LINK/V3 platform or get an older NUCLEO H7 board

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
mbristol
Associate II

Hi and thank you.

I am not sure what you mean they use a different processor?

I was referring to the onboard embedded ST-Link processor of the nucleo board.

First time I used the embedded ST-Link to program my stm32h743, I had to upgrade the embedded ST-Link to V3.

So why it wouldn't be possible to downgrade and come back to its original V2 firmware?

DFuchs
Associate III

Hi,

the NUCLEO-H743ZI2 should be with ST-Link-V3E, always.

Are you sure that it was an upgrade from V2 to V3? Perhaps just an V3 update?!

Kind regards

Daniel

mbristol
Associate II

Hello,

I am not sure indeed.

I am only sure I had to update ST-Link in order to program the chip. but I am not sure from what version.

Do you think the nucleo-H743ZI2 cannot be used with the usb J-link at all then?

Thanks,

DFuchs
Associate III

Hi,

excuse me, but i don't have the Nucleo-H743ZI2.

On my older Nucleo-boards is a stm32f103 for debugging. On my newer boards is a stm32f7 and i dont see any segger version for a f7 [1].

If the h743zi2 has a f7 also, i don't see a possibility. Like clive1 said, different processor :\

[1] https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/j-link-ob/

mbristol
Associate II

Thanks for your answers, looks like I will have to use an external probe.

Thanks all.