Did you mean: 

ST-Link Firmware Upgrade Discovery Board MB997C

chriskuku
Senior II

19 REPLIES 19
chriskuku
Senior II

Sorry, I did not know that what I wrote in the title already was the question 🙂

Anyway, I got a somewhat older STM32F407 Discovery board (MB997C), which has a program loaded into flash. I would like to read out that program (whole flash).

For this purpose I connected it to my Notebook via USB-cable, but the board isn't recognizes as a USB-Device.

Can I upgrade the firmware for this board.

It is the highest priority that the content of the Flash has to be left untouched and preserved at any rate.

Can I read out the Flash by other means to make a backup first?

--

Christoph

TDK
Guru

Are you connecting to the correct USB port (CN1)? Should be able to connect with STM32CubeProgrammer.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Use the Mini USB, on the NORTH end of board, NOT the Micro A-B on the SOUTH end

Use ST-LINK Utilities, or STM32 Cube Programmer

Device should have 1MB of FLASH, should be able to read/save

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
chriskuku
Senior II

@clive1, @TDK: sure, I was using the Mini-USB (CN1), "North", as you put it.

And, yes, I used ST-LINK Utility. And that board wasn't recognized, as I wrote. While the newer one (MB997D) *is* recognized.

The I asked: "Can I upgrade the firmware for this board?" (forgot the question mark)

And can I do that without harm to the current flash contents? Better not, I guess.

So my question: "Can I read out the flash contents by other means now?"

TDK
Guru

You could use the bootloader if you have a UART device available. Going to be much easier to use the built-in ST-Link though.

> The I asked: "Can I upgrade the firmware for this board?" (forgot the question mark)

> And can I do that without harm to the current flash contents?

The flash contents are the firmware. The are one and the same.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

If your system can't find the ST-LINK it is not going to be able to upgrade/fix the firmware on it.

To get at the firmware on the F407 device, you can strap BOOT0 to VDD so it resets into the System Boot Loader, and either use USART1 via PA9/PA10 (there is a capacitor that needs removing) and use the serial protocol of the boot loader. The South End USB connectors should come up as an "STM32 DFU Device" and you can use the USB/DFU DfuSe protocol of the boot loader.

chriskuku
Senior II

@TDK: "The flash contents are the firmware"

In what respect differs "the firmware in flash" from the program that is loaded into flash from e.g. 0x08000000 (my application, that's what I mean when sayiing it's gotta be preserved)?

The situation now is: I cannot see the board as a USB device on Micro USB (NORTH) Adapter.

So you say I can use the South End USB Connector. With what program can I then read out the device by means of the "USB/DfuSe protocol"?

I tried to connect the board through the SOUTH USB connector to my computer with BOOT0 jumpered to Vdd. There doesn't seem to be a USB device being attached. See no LED being lit on the board as if it is not being powered (?).

STM32 Cube Programmer supports STLINK, USB or UART based programming / connectivity.

ST also has an older DfuSe programming suite, ie tool to generate DFU, tool to program/read DFU

Don't know, it's been a while since I used these boards, perhaps there is a jumper or solder bridge related to power routing, other alternative is to power the board via the NORTH USB connector.

If you've blown up the board in some previous interaction, then you might need to solve that. You'll need to go through the schematic.

Not clear why you've lost the source/binaries for the board