cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-Link Drivers unable to be installed on Windows 11 Machine

CEast.3
Associate

Hello,

I have been trying various methods of installing the ST-Link USB drivers on my Windows 11 Laptop, with absolutely no success. Here is the output I see when I try to run the installation batch file from the stsw-link009 download:

0693W00000KagBhQAJ.jpgWhen I plug in my nucleo board, this is what I see in the device manager:

0693W00000KagCBQAZ.pngWhen I open the properties on the ST-Link device, it (obviously) says that the drivers are not installed. Needless to say, if I try to run a program form the Cube IDE, I get a "No-ST-Link Detected" message. Also, if I open a project on the mbed IDE while the nucleo is plugged in, the board does get recognized. The board is the F091RC, although I am not sure that's relevant to my issues. The pre-loaded blinky program does work as well.

I am a beginner in this space, so please let me know if I'm doing something dumb. I've read and watched a lot of things to try and figure out, and everything I've found either completely skips over any issues with this (so presumably it isn't a normal issue) or they dive into writing custom INF, disabling Secure Boot, or other relatively extreme measures.

9 REPLIES 9
Mike_ST
ST Employee

Hello,

From the download page:

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link009.html

• General Description ST-LINK, ST-LINK/V2, ST-LINK/V2-1, STLINK-V3 USB driver signed for Windows7, Windows8, Windows10

And now.... for Windows11 ?

I don't have the information.

Just anwering why it might not work on W11.

I have personnaly never tried. Maybe there is a compatibility mode.

From what I see, the ecosystem is stamped Win10 max so far.

Advise already given in this forum quite long ago (besides of modification and signing the INF) was to manually install the in-box winusb driver for ST-Link in the Device manager. This maybe works for early adopters of Win11 but there's time for ST to recognize Win11 .

CEast.3
Associate

Thanks for the input. I had seen that some forum posters had gotten it to work on 11, but I couldn't achieve the same success. I guess I'll just hold out until driver support is updated for Win11! Fingers crossed for it to be soon!

I was forced to transition to Windows 11 and also cannot get my STLINK v2 to work.

Can anyone confirm compatibility?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@BillE Confirmed. Works on recent supported Win11 on Intel/AMD PC (ver. 23H2, 22H2)

I am facing similar issue with my custom board.

I have developed a custom board using STM32F070RBT6TR which is replacement for PIC microcontroller on a legacy design.

USB interface is happening with @90% PCs with Windows 11 but same issue mentioned above for @10% PCs.

We can't ask our customer to replace their PC for this issue.

While searching ST's forum, I got to know that, below packet size to be changed to 64 to resolve this issue for W11.

#define CDC_DATA_HS_MAX_PACKET_SIZE

#define CDC_DATA_FS_MAX_PACKET_SIZE

This works for smaller packet size of 64 but my application demands packet size of 256.

I am in big trouble here since my design is complete and about to move to production.

I feel that, issue is with W11 driver with some patch(es). I am unable to find this.

Request ST to help here for W11 USB interface issue.

Best regards

Narendra

@NKale You're confused. This thread is about ST-Link (the debugger) interface, not your own USB device implementation such as CDC. 

Request ST to help here for W11 USB interface issue.

Several examples in the Cube STM32F0 software package are to your service. Some knowledge of USB specification is required to deal with the USB firmware. (for one - understanding why the packet size is limited to 64 and cannot be 256).