cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nucleo-144 (F756ZG) stopped working after cut-off ST-Link

bogus
Associate

Hello, I recently bought Nucleo-144 board (variant F756ZG) to one of my project. I used DFU to upload firmware and external power supply using VIN pin (7.5 VDC). It works perfect until I decided to remove ST-Link part to reduce board size. After that it won't work anymore (no Serial COM, no Ethernet). Could someone help me what I am doing wrong? Maybe I should reconfigure jumpers but I don't know which. Below I attached photo of board.

Many thanks for help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

just look, if you still have a clock on the cpu....

see circuit:

AScha3_0-1718740644440.png

Clock coming from MCO , st-link, but you cut it away: so change solder bridge SB8/9 (close) , sb149 cut.

And set your HSE to crystal , 8MHz . (If you didnt this.)

And check: is crystal and C37/38 really there ? Otherwise install , solder 8MHz crystal + 2x 4p7 there.

From pic: X3 not there, so you have to solder...or just for check/run : set it on HSI , to get it working without crystal.

AScha3_0-1718742490800.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

No Serial COM? You mean from the ST-LINK/V2-1 VCP connection?

You can find a schematic via the "CAD Resources" page for the product

Check where the 5V source comes from in the VIN case, because the regulator is almost certainly a 3V3 one, not a means of getting 5V from the 7.5V you're injecting.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

just look, if you still have a clock on the cpu....

see circuit:

AScha3_0-1718740644440.png

Clock coming from MCO , st-link, but you cut it away: so change solder bridge SB8/9 (close) , sb149 cut.

And set your HSE to crystal , 8MHz . (If you didnt this.)

And check: is crystal and C37/38 really there ? Otherwise install , solder 8MHz crystal + 2x 4p7 there.

From pic: X3 not there, so you have to solder...or just for check/run : set it on HSI , to get it working without crystal.

AScha3_0-1718742490800.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The Ethernet has it's own TCXO / Crystal

But yes the HSE might be an issue

Instrument code, output something, or turn on RED LED if you go off and die in Error_Handler()

Have something in HardFault_Handler() too

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

So what debugging have you done to see what is happening?

You can still use the broken-off ST-Link to debug and/or as a VCP - you just have to re-make all the necessary connections with wires.

As the others have said, by default the Target MCU gets its clock from the ST-Link - so you're also going to have to do something about your clock source ...

@bogus wrote:

Maybe I should reconfigure jumpers but I don't know which. Below I attached photo of board.

Many thanks for help.

The User Manual describes all the jumpers and, as @Tesla DeLorean said, you can also look at the schematics...

You are of course right - Clock was the problem. My *** mistake, I was too focused on searching problem with power supply...

After soldering missing components board is alive again.

Thanks to everyone for help.