cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no target found/DEV_UNKNOWN_MCU_TARGET

MGuth.1
Associate III

Hi all

I just designed my first custom PCB running on an STM32U585(VIT6). Or let's say it was desired to run on a STM32...
As I couldn't get the MCU noticed by neither the STM32CubeMX nor the STM32CubeProgrammer, I designed another board that just holds the MCU itself, a LED (incl. Resistor), and pinouts for VDD, GND, PA13, PA14 and NRST.

I designed that very bare minimum PCB thinking that it may eliminate all disturbing elements. But even with that PCB I'm facing the same errors. The MCU was ordered at Digikey. So I guess there's no bootloader or something on it?!

I'm using a ST-Link V2 (seems to be a clone from Aliexpress tbh), connected to the PCB as follows

MCU ST-Link V2 clone
VDD 3V3
GND GND
NRST RST
PA13 SWDIO
PA14 SWDCLK

Now running STM32CubeProgrammer with this setup, I'm getting "Error: ST-LINK error (DEV_UNKNOWN_MCU_TARGET)" when using JTAG port and "Error: No STM32 target found..." when using SWD port settings. In both cases I tried using different settings for Frequency, Reset Modes, Speeds, etc.

I also tried connecting to the MCU-PCB by briding through a ST-Link from the U575 Nucleo Board. Same result.

I'm very lost and can't really figure out what's the problem. Can anyone please try to help me with that? In all the Technical and Application Notes I don't find the respective part that provides knowledge about fresh-out-the-factory chips. Like "how to: first blinky" on a completely fresh MCU.

Any help is highly appreciated! Please help me getting my board running and restore my motivation! 🙂

cheers

1 REPLY 1
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @MGuth.1 ,

Root cause of faced problem may be the cloned ST-Link V2. To make sure you have a genuine product, please refer to this article: How to recognize a genuine ST-LINK/V2 versus a cloned one?

Then, follow recommendations described in the article How to solve debugger connection issues.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.