cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My STM32 Nucleo - G0B1RE just stopped working out of nowhere...

Alexander Stankov
Associate II

So I wanted to program today and opened ST_Cube_IDE, connected my board to my PC and it was flashing red. It didn't respond to me sending information through a terminal, so I debugged my program and uploaded it (it should have already been in memory). Then I got an error:

Failed to start GDB server

Error in initializing ST-LINK device.

Reason: (4) No device found on target.

My LD2 LED is red, I read that means the board is taking in too much current, also it is very hot near the LED. The LD1 LED is also at red, although 1-2 times reconnecting it ended at green. When I take the JP2 jumper from STLNK the LD1 led stops shinning, so I guess something is going to the microcontroller. I tried to use CubeProgrammer but it also can't connect, I updated the firmware. I tried to connect the BOOT0 pin to ground, it is shown in the ioc.file as PA14-Boot0. Nothing happened. It was working just fine yesterday. I also tried to do the same with the NRST pin, although I don't know how that works, exactly.

I read threads in which people said that multiple chips they had did the same thing. Is the microcontroller dead?

I'm not very experienced with doing anything hardware with the board of the microcontroller. I had a Nucle-G474RE and it never had a similar issue. I program them for a university project.

1 REPLY 1
TDK
Guru

Chips getting hot and the overcurrent LED going on doesn't bode well. You can try a different cable and/or USB port. Otherwise, if you really didn't change anything, it's probably dead. If you really want to dig into it, I would verify jumper settings are valid, see which chip is getting hot specifically and see where in the schematic that would place the fault. Verify resistance from all rails to ground is well over 1kOhm.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".