cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max speed for SPI over ST Zio connector on STM32H7 Nucleo

MikeStrom
Associate

Hi,
as the question indicates, I wonder what the max (rated?) speed on SPI is if the Nucleo board is connected to a carrier board (with very short leads with proper SI) to a SPI master/slave device. I searched for information on the ST Zio connector connector but found no rating or expected max frequency, nor experimental results.
Thanks in advance!

/Mike

3 REPLIES 3
AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

so - just try it yourself.

From my SPI use : on longer connections, with "good" adjusted pin speed, 16Mbit is no problem.

(At 32M the receiver (TFT) got errors, so cannot say about the H7 any limit ; H7 can run 100Mbit. )

On higher speeds - most time its over the limits for the receiving chip.

And try pin speed as low as possible to reduce reflections. Just try...or look with a fast scope, but this is not easy, if you have no experience with it. 

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I doubt there's that level of contractual commitment.

Going to depend a lot on the specific signals and traces, and if there are stubs or other things attached.

I'd expect at least 25-33 MHz with low/minimal effort/attention.

Perhaps 33-50 MHz with some attention. And 50-66 MHz with specific attention to detail.

You can also scale back the pin drive / slew rate to reduce the energy imparted into the lines.

H7 also want to enable IO compensation. 

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Depends mostly on your layout. I was able relatively easy to establish 50MHz communication through "Zio connector".