cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in initializing ST-LINK device. Reason: ST-LINK firmware upgrade required. Please upgrade the ST-LINK firmware using the upgrade tool.

IK_RSA
Associate II

It asks to re-connect STLINK and press "yes". Nothing happens after.

I've tried to install STM32CubeProgrammer to upgrade manually, but I could not get it running.

OS X 10.15.4

java 14.0.1 2020-04-14

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 14.0.1+7)

What should I do?

Regards,

T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Download stsw-link007 and unzip. In cd in stsw-link007/AllPlatforms, run "java -jar STLinkUpgrade.jar"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Find a Windows machine. Download the standalone ST-LINK updated from ST website and update it.

-- pa

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Download stsw-link007 and unzip. In cd in stsw-link007/AllPlatforms, run "java -jar STLinkUpgrade.jar"

Whole point of migrating to this Java nonsense from the previous native versions was to support/function multi-platform. Just shows poor execution and testing.

On Windows you often have to reset the target CPU, or disconnect it (jumpers), for the ST-LINK to go into DFU mode, and be updatable. Watch also for tool chains, or applications, taking ownership of the resource and blocking other apps from using.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

When I tried to run ST Link utility on my old win machine - it did upgrade it to some version, but I still had to run upgrade, one more time, now on Mac with Uwe's answer:java -jar STLinkUpgrade.jar

It seems that in Apple vs Windows - it still shortens up to knowledge of terminal window command