cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dev board with DCMI and MIPI-DSI pins/connectors

walterg
Associate II

Hello, 

I want to evaluate a solution using a SMT32 MCU with a TFT display (MIPI-DSI) and a camera input via DCMI.

With these requirements I've restricted the MCU list to these 6 families:

• F469/F479
  • F769/F779
  • L4R9/L4S9
  • U599/U5A9
  • U5F9/U5G9

if I am correct.

The issue I am facing is that I have not found a Nucleo or Discovery board that carries those MCU and the relevant MIPI-DSI + DCMI connectors/headers or just bare GPIO pins.

The only ones I have found are discovery boards, much more expensive, like the STM32L4R9I-EIAC Discovery board which prices 300 $. I would also accept, at this stage, a board with an already installed LCD display, as there are many Discovery boards, but the all lack (unless I misread the specs) the DCMI pins exposed.

Am I missing something obvious in the ST.COM dev kits specs or list?

Or does anybody know of some breakout boards that just expose the GPIO pins, and maybe a power connector (just like this one for example, it exposes all the GPIO pins of a Raspberry compute module, plus it has a jack for power). 

walterg_0-1714492419471.png

I need something cheap and quick to validate my overall architecture and connections, before designing the PCB and have it printed.

BTW I've seen something that could work if I change my specs to a LCD using parallel RGB and a camera, but this time round I'd like to stick to a fewer data lines.  

Thanks for any suggestion.

Bye

W

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @walterg,

In addition to the STM32L4R9I EVAL Board, there is the STM32L4R9I-DISCO (32L4R9IDISCOVERY), which embeds a DSI Connector (with default round LCD display 1.2" of 390x390 pixels ) and also embeds a DCMI connector interface compatible with the CAM module STM32F4DIS-CAM.

Best Regards.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @walterg and welcome to the Community 🙂,

The issue I am facing is that I have not found a Nucleo or Discovery board that carries those MCU and the relevant MIPI-DSI + DCMI connectors/headers or just bare GPIO pins.

The STM32H747I-DISCO Discovery kit t is a complete demonstration and development platform for the STMicroelectronics Arm® Cortex®-M7 and -M4 dual-core-based STM32H747XIH6 microcontroller.

The full range of hardware features available on the board helps users improve application development by an evaluation of all the peripherals (USB OTG2 HS, Ethernet, microSD™card, SAI Audio DAC stereo with audio jack input and output, MEMS digital microphone, SDRAM, Quad-SPI flash memory, DCMI connector, MIPI DSI® interface, and others).

Also, you can use STM32F769I-EVAL board.

Thank you.

Kaouthar.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

walterg
Associate II

Hello @KDJEM.1  ad thanks for your welcome.

Yes, I 've seen the 747 Disco, it's nice but I wanted to test lower end processors like the cortex M4 since I wanted to build something with the least power requirements and I figured the M4 is less power hungry than the M7, but maybe I'm wrong. 

The same goes for the769 eval board. Nice but maybe too much for my project. I just need to relay images vith a decent frame rate (15ps upwards) from the camera to a LCD with VGA like resolution, nothing much fancy,

On the other hand I could start this way and then test field on a custom PCB the power consumption. I will think about it a little more. 
Thanks for your reply!

W

Hello @walterg,

In addition to the STM32L4R9I EVAL Board, there is the STM32L4R9I-DISCO (32L4R9IDISCOVERY), which embeds a DSI Connector (with default round LCD display 1.2" of 390x390 pixels ) and also embeds a DCMI connector interface compatible with the CAM module STM32F4DIS-CAM.

Best Regards.

Hello @GET,

I was aware but I wanted a bigger display. One question that I have often is how are the display/boards connected to the main Discovery board. Now it seems a bit clearer.  

At the moment I've ordered (and just received, not yet opened) the  STM32H747I-DISCO and the B-CAMS-OMV (the STM32F4DIS-CAM does not seem available anymore), so I will check and then, maybe afterwards, I will try the STM32L4R9I-DISCO and see what kind of connector board I need to have to use my available displays (which by the way are Blanview from Ortustech).

So thanks, I will get back with some feedback after I manage to get a working prototype with what I have.

Thanks, I think for the moment your answer and @KDJEM.1 are enough!

Best regards