cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install ST-Link V2-1 frm Nucleo STM32F412ZG

mbristol
Associate II

I am having a nightmare trying to install a nucleo F412ZG (https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-f412zg.html) under windows 11 64bits.
It has an onboard ST-Link V2-1.
In the device manager it seems to be detected under "Universal Serial Bus Devices / BULK interface".
If I click on update the driver and point at my directory "en.stsw-link009", it says no driver is found for this device.
If I try "I have a disk" and go into that folder, it finds only stlink_bridge_winusb.inf, stlink_dbg_winusb.inf and stlink_VCP.inf.
Under the sub dir amd64 it finds nothing to install.

"ST-LinkUpgrade.exe" from downloaded "en.stsw-link007-v3-13-4" finds "No ST link device connected, Please connect it and try again"

I have it connected and hear the windows sounds when connected on/off, I also have the COM5 appearing/disappearing when connecting/disconnecting.

I have tried to "uninstall driver" with "attempt to remove from device" but it keeps coming back as BULK interface, this time under "Other devices"
I also have an extra "USB Composite Device"

If I list the drivers available from my "en.stsw-link009" repo it has
"STMicroelectronics STLink Bridge"
"STMicroelectronics STLink Dongle"
"STMicroelectronics STLink Dongle RW"
"STMicroelectronics STLink USB Loader"
"STMicroelectronics STLink Virtual COM Port"
"STMicroelectronics STLink Virtual COM Port 2"
"STMicroelectronics STLink Virtual COM Port PWR"

If I use the driver "USB loader above", in the device manager the Nucleo will go back under "Universal Serial Bus Devices/BULK interface".

and lastly.. if I use "STM32 ST-Link utility", under "Settings" the ST-Link serial Number display
"Old ST-LINK firmware/ST-LINK already used"

I have tried various links
Link 
link_1 

And others on this forum.

And of course different cables.

Please help..... :(

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

> I think I remember those boards could be set as mass storage or J-Link ?

Sounds like you or someone else may have done this to the board in the past.

In that event, follow the instructions for reverting the firmware.

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/st-link-on-board/

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TDK
Guru

Download and install STM32CubeProgrammer, reboot machine, then load STM32CubeProgrammer. Is the ST-Link detected and does it have the serial number displayed?

TDK_0-1701465626123.png

If not, go into device manager. Anything there with a yellow exclamation mark? If so, show it. It should look like this:

TDK_1-1701465717699.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

no serial detected, and still the BULK interface with a exclamation mark in the device manager.

With all the trials I have made at some point I managed to have this BULK interface without an exclamation mark, and under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" but I think that is still wrong anyway, I never had it "ST-Link Debug" like you have.

The board works, I mean I have used it on different machine and some time ago.

Thanks

mbristol
Associate II

More info

I have plugged a nucleo-767zi

The LED on the J-LINK board are is RED, whereas the one on the nucleo-f412zg is GREEN.

The 767zi is detected fine and appears as "Universal Serial Bus Devices / ST-Link Debug" in the device manager

Its serial number is in STM32CubeProgrammer.

I think I remember those boards could be set as mass storage or J-Link ? 

Maybe the f412 is stuck in the wrong mode? is there any way to boot with "reset" button pressed? or factory reset it etc? 

I have tried then to disconnect the 767zi and reconnect the f412, to point at the same inf driver in

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\stlink_dbg_winusb.inf_amd64_0affb16e4aa0fcb7

As I assumed it would be the same ST-Link chip, but it wont do anything.   

mbristol
Associate II

more info

If I force the driver of the f412zg to

"STMmicroelectronics STLink USB Loader version ...."

Then in "STLinkUpgrade 3.13.4" app, from STMcubeProgrammer, I can see the board and its ID

As STLink-V3PWR

But when I click on "open in update mode" I have the error in the picture.

It that mean the JLINK is updated at V3 and I cannot downgrade to V2-1 ?

I dont mind which version it is.. as long as I can use it! , which is not the case at the moment, it will still show "No ST LINK connected"

TDK
Guru

> I think I remember those boards could be set as mass storage or J-Link ?

Sounds like you or someone else may have done this to the board in the past.

In that event, follow the instructions for reverting the firmware.

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/models/other-j-links/st-link-on-board/

mbristol
Associate II

Thank you very much, it is now restored and is working. Thanks for your time