cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BUG] ST-Link firmware verification - No ST-LINK detected message since 1.4.x update.

gcrisa
Associate III

On Windows 10, I just updated (again) to the 1.4.2 version, hoping to solve this issue, yet nothing changed.

Already tried a clean install (again) and re-installed the latest STM32CubeProgrammer: nothing changed.

Will ST handle this sooner or later please? Or at least give some help in diagnosing the problem? Thanks

64 REPLIES 64
EJOHA
Senior

Do you have ST-LINK connected directly to USB port on PC or via a hub?

If a hub is used try to connect ST-LINK / board directly to PC.

I located it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\stlink_server folder and tried to start it, here's the console output:

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\stlink_server> .\stlinkserver.exe
Info : default port : 7184
Info : 127.0.0.1:7184
Error: bind failed. Error = 10048, exit

All of my attempts have been done with the boards connected to the PC(s). I tried:

• NUCLEO-F401RE fw. revision V2.J37.M26
  • STLINK-V3MINI fw. revision V3.J7.M2

Sorry my bad. I had another instance running in the task manager: so yes, it starts and stays open...

Did you try with other USB port and connect only one board at a time.

I always tried one board at time and tried all the USB ports in the PC. I kept trying but it seems the ST-LINK GDB server is not starting when i add the -t option, with "Reason: ST-LINK DLL Error".

If i remove that option it works though...

Can you check in debug configuration, with "Shared STLink" option checked that you can see the STLink's Serial Nb.

With stlink gdb server, you can click on ST-Link S/N and then scan button and see if the SN text window is populated.

With openocd, you have a window in the bottom displaying all the STLinks connected.

Just checked it now. I tried both ST-LINK GDB and OpenOCD, both times having the "Shared STLink" checked.

ST-LINK GDB: I can see the serial number, but can't start the debug session.

ST-LINK OpenOCD: as I click the scan button, no boards gets detected, and the debug session doesn't start either.

Here some screenshots, hope they helps...

0693W000003Pej3QAC.png

0693W000003Pej8QAC.png

0693W000003PejDQAS.png0693W000003PejIQAS.png

Thanks for the tests, so it seems stlink server has issues to recognize your STlinks.

One thing you can try is to update your USB drivers to the latest version available.

Not the STLink USB driver but the USB driver of the Hub or usb inside the PC.

Thank you for your help. I will see if there are driver updates available, even though I'm letting Windows Update deploy them and have the Intel Driver Assistant keeping them up to date too.

But, you have to consider that before the 1.4 update all worked fine, and even now the CubeProgrammer, ST-Link Utility and even ST-LINK GDB Server (when started manually without the -t shared option) works fine so I'm doubtful that a driver is causing this. Moreover, this same issue appeared on an older PC that I also updated to 1.4.

Right now I could just start the GDB server manually and then having the IDE connecting to it, but I'd really like to sort this issue out or at least know what is wrong, or I can't be sure that future upgrades will keep working...