cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-NUCLEO-NFC08A1 tag not detecting in i2c

BS
Associate II

Hello,

I am using X-NUCLEO-NFC08A1(ST25R3916B) with Dialog DA14706 MCU , ported the X-CUBE-NFC6 library and first tested for SPI , and it has worked fine(getting Tag UID) . Then i have done some modifications in hardware (Pull-up resistors 1.6K , Made i2c_en high, solder bridges) as well as in Software (defined the macro RFAL_USE_I2C). Still can't get tag UID. 

By the way ,both Timer tests , antenna RF field (13.56MHz) and chip id (0x31) , all are checked, found correct.

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi BS,

as feared before: With such slow I2C more issues will be ahead:

irq_timeout_handling.png

You are seeing here: 

1. C6 command: Send NFC-A REQA
  2. 5A - 38 ..., the 38 denoting that data has been received (I_rxs, I_rxe, I_txe)
  3. 16 - 87 : Clearing of interrupts, software does that if no interrupts have been received within I think 1ms

So the actual data is disregarded by software due to slow IRQ handling. Above I find almost  2ms between sending the 5A byes until starting to receive.

I think you need have few fronts to work: Assure that interrupts are handled before the timers expire. And overall I recommend to remove those delays in the I2C. 

Also I consider it likely that you can remove some technologies if you only want to read normal cards: AP2P and maybe also ST25TB.

BR, Ulysses

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

can you enable the ST25R_SELFTEST compilation switch and make sure st25r3916Initialize() function returns no error?

Can you connect a logic analyzer on I2C (SCL, SDA) and IRQ_3916 and send the trace (raw file)?

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
BS
Associate II

Hi,

I enabled the ST25R_SELFTEST & ST25R_SELFTEST_TIMER and debug the code , st25r3916Initialize() returns RFAL_ERR_NONE.

I captured the Logic analyzer data , i have attached the file, PFA.

Screenshot 2024-02-23 110738.png

Screenshot 2024-02-23 110907.png

Screenshot 2024-02-23 110817.png

   

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

it seems Salae Logic Analyzer has been used. Can you share the raw binary file?

Thanks

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
BS
Associate II

Hi BS, 

Hi BS,

thanks, Saleae trace is welcome. In a future step it would also be useful if you share not only the initialization but also the complete failed attempts to read a UID.

In any case I analyzed based on your Excel and I found an unexpected behavior as repeated Start is performed where it shouldn't:

i2c_undefined.png

Please fix these repated starts and maybe it starts working. What I am seeing as well that your I2C driver has huge delays - this will for sure also lead to one problem or the other.

BR, Ulysses

BS
Associate II

Hi  Mr. Ulysses Herniosus,

Solved the issue of repeated start in i2c, but UID not found.

I captured the data by logic analyzer with failed attempts also. In the example code i have disabled the PLATFORM_USER_BUTTON_PIN, so this LA data is for the continuous execution of MX_X_CUBE_NFC6_Process function, and the tag is placed on the NFC antenna.

LINK

Thanks,

Hi BS,

as feared before: With such slow I2C more issues will be ahead:

irq_timeout_handling.png

You are seeing here: 

1. C6 command: Send NFC-A REQA
  2. 5A - 38 ..., the 38 denoting that data has been received (I_rxs, I_rxe, I_txe)
  3. 16 - 87 : Clearing of interrupts, software does that if no interrupts have been received within I think 1ms

So the actual data is disregarded by software due to slow IRQ handling. Above I find almost  2ms between sending the 5A byes until starting to receive.

I think you need have few fronts to work: Assure that interrupts are handled before the timers expire. And overall I recommend to remove those delays in the I2C. 

Also I consider it likely that you can remove some technologies if you only want to read normal cards: AP2P and maybe also ST25TB.

BR, Ulysses

BS
Associate II

Hi Mr. Ulysses Herniosus,

Problem resolved, Thank you so much, I am deeply indebted to you for your invaluable assistance. Actually, i am using RTOS, so i had created a distinct task to read registers post interrupt. And my mistake was, this task priority is set same as normal running task.

The reason I overlooked the priority parameter is because I obtained the UID from SPI using the same code and timer tests were also passed.

After all the issue has been resolved.

Thanks Again.