cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 - External antenna

pagano.paganino
Associate III

Hi all,

is it possible to connect an external antenna to the X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1, if possible, where?

Thanks,

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi @pagano.paganino​ ,

The NFC06 has a breakable antenna, and there are three pads available to connect an external antenna. But at this point you must know what you are doing because the matching circuitry will not be adapted to your new antenna so you will also have to match it.

Here are some links to useful documentation and tool:

Best Regards.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi @pagano.paganino​ ,

The NFC06 has a breakable antenna, and there are three pads available to connect an external antenna. But at this point you must know what you are doing because the matching circuitry will not be adapted to your new antenna so you will also have to match it.

Here are some links to useful documentation and tool:

Best Regards.

JGreve
Associate II

When you break off the antenna, the three pads stay on the antenna rendering the NFC06A1 board useless. Unless there is another way to attach an antenna?

0693W00000WJIgfQAH.jpg 

@Rene Lenerve​ can you tell me where in the documentation that you have linked, you find the information you need to match and connect an external antenna? Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Br. Jørgen

JGreve
Associate II

@Rene Lenerve​ ?

Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi @Jørgen Greve​,

If you look at the schematics https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/um2615-getting-started-with-the-nfc-card-reader-expansion-board-based-on-st25r3916-for-stm32-and-stm8-nucleos-stmicroelectronics.pdf, you can have access to the two lines of the antenna with R300 (ANT2) and R302 (ANT1). The third one is connected to the ground with R304.

Kind Regards.

JGreve
Associate II

Thank you, but I can still not find information about how to match the external antenna. I need information about the matching network to be able to design an antenna that matches. I know this is kind of backwards since you normally design the antenna and then the matching circuit to match the antenna to the ST25R3916. But since the matching circuit is already in place, I can't do that.

Br. Jørgen

Rene Lenerve
ST Employee
JGreve
Associate II

I know, that is why I mentioned that I am working on the NFC06A1 expansion board containing the ST25R3916 NFC IC.

One would think that ST had included such information in the documentation you have linked to both in the top of this thread and now here. But it still remains to be found. I have tried for at least a week now.

Could you please point to where in the documentation I can find the values I need to design an antenna for the NFC06A1 expansion boards matching circuit?

Br. Jørgen

Arimsa Has
Associate II

Hi @Jørgen Greve​ ,

On this picture you can see one example : the NFC06A1 board connected with 66x66mm antenna.

0693W00000WJqNSQA1.jpgFirst step is to measure antenna parameters. In this app note (Antenna matching for ST25R3911B/ST25R391x devices - Application note) on the page 16 you will find all information how to measure antenna parameters of antenna. So values that you need for matching circuit depend on your designed antenna.

After you have antenna parameter, you can use the "STMicroelectronics ST25R Antenna Matching Tool" to determine the matching components. (See page 27, 28,29 Antenna matching for ST25R3911B/ST25R391x devices - Application note ).

I hope this can help you.

Best regards

JGreve
Associate II

Hi @Arimsa Has​ 

I am aware that you design an antenna and afterwards match it to the RF IC with a matching network, but that is clearly not the intended way to do it on the NFC06A1 board since there is no solder pads on the ST25R3916 side of the matching network.

Both your picture and @Rene Lenerve​ suggest that the new antenna is soldered directly to the output terminals of the matching network. And since ST has not provided the necessary information in the documentation for me to do da that, I am a bit in a pickle.

What is the intended way to attach a new antenna to the NFC06A1 board and why is it not properly described in the NFC06A1 documentation?

Br. Jørgen