cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple VAS compatibility

Jhern.1
Associate II

Hello,

I have been requested to have our RFID reader compatible with Android, iOS and physical cards.

Android can perform HCE and NDEF messages can be read with our current reader (ST25R95). So far, so good.

But, it seems apple is forcing to use Apple VAS so as to have the phone in emulation mode. But not sure how to be compatible with this. We just need to read some small info from the phones (a NDEF txt would be enough).

How can I manage to read or exchange NDEF messages from a iOS phone?

Is there any chipset certified to be used taht provides VAS compatibility?

Regards, Ramon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Ramon,

our ST25R39... and ST25R95 readers are able to support the NFC communication required by Apple iPhones. If you become a member of Apples's MFi program it should become clearer to you how our devices can be used to implement the specific aspects of NFC communication with iPhones.

However in my experience even then you will not have access to HCE as you can do on Android devices. Using the HCE inside iPhone is only possible through passes inside the wallet. Please refer to https://developer.apple.com/wallet/get-started/ where it states to get an NFC-certificate.

Of course you can try to consult Apple to find out the best approach to your use cases. The one which should work without additional permission/information from Apple would be to use CE in your device: Use e.g. ST25R3916 and inside the iPhone make use of the CoreNFC to read your device.

Best Regards, Ulysses

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Ramon,

our ST25R39... and ST25R95 readers are able to support the NFC communication required by Apple iPhones. If you become a member of Apples's MFi program it should become clearer to you how our devices can be used to implement the specific aspects of NFC communication with iPhones.

However in my experience even then you will not have access to HCE as you can do on Android devices. Using the HCE inside iPhone is only possible through passes inside the wallet. Please refer to https://developer.apple.com/wallet/get-started/ where it states to get an NFC-certificate.

Of course you can try to consult Apple to find out the best approach to your use cases. The one which should work without additional permission/information from Apple would be to use CE in your device: Use e.g. ST25R3916 and inside the iPhone make use of the CoreNFC to read your device.

Best Regards, Ulysses