cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature threshold raised

BL1
Associate II

Hi,

Using SPINFamily Evaluation Tool 3.2, STnucleo-f401re and IHM03A1, I try to drive a 48V-9A motor.

On IHM03A1, I add 15mOhm/3W resistances in parallel of R1 and R2, so R1 and R2 value is now 13mOhm.

In SPINFamily interface, I choosed current mode, set run current to 7,2A (93,75mV) and overcurrent threshold to 8,41A (218,75mV).

I successfully start to run the motor at constant speed but after several minutes (around 3minutes), temperature threshold is reached and board stop, do you know why ?

Measured output current is 6A.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hi @BL​,

as already mentioned in a previous post when working with power devices with high load currents, it is necessary to ensure adequate heat dissipation to avoid damage. Had you monitor the board temperature as suggested?

As with most power devices, the maximum output current is limited by the dissipation, not the maximum rating of the device.

In your case the device thermal protection is triggered to protect the device.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hi @BL​,

as already mentioned in a previous post when working with power devices with high load currents, it is necessary to ensure adequate heat dissipation to avoid damage. Had you monitor the board temperature as suggested?

As with most power devices, the maximum output current is limited by the dissipation, not the maximum rating of the device.

In your case the device thermal protection is triggered to protect the device.

BL1
Associate II

Hi @Cristiana SCARAMEL​ , thanks

I moritored TH_STATUS, is there a register to read device temperature ?

We will add some heat dissipators as you recommend.

Hi @BL​ ,

the TH_STATUS bits report the IC thermal condition according to the Table 9 of powerSTEP01 datasheet (pg 33).

To monitor the board temperature you must use an external probe (e.g. termocouple).

Remember to "Select as Best" in the proper reply.

BL1
Associate II

Thanks @Cristiana SCARAMEL​ , tt works well with a heat sink and a fan !