cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STSPIN240 Fault condition issue

MMold.1
Associate

I am having some trouble using the STSPIN240 brushed dc motor driver with my motor:

Sparkfun ROB-16413

From my calculations, the motor should not draw enough current to trigger the overcurrent/short-circuit protection.

My measurement show a large spike at VSENSE (yellow) and a subsequent drop in VFAULT (cyan). This pattern is periodic, as soon as VFAULT is recharged the same condition occurs.

0693W00000QNn34QAD.pngThe SENSE resistor is 330mOhm and the peak voltage measured is 1.340V.

UPDATE

The motor is able to start its rotation if the direction is changed. If for example the motor is initially driven clockwise, it will enter this fault condition loop. If the direction is swapped to counter-clockwise the motor is able to start its rotation. This does however not solve my problem, as it is not possible to do PWM control with this method.

UPDATE 2

I have verified that the same issue occurs using the Nucleo-IHM12A1 board as well, ruling out any hardware issue on my end.

2 REPLIES 2
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hi @MMold.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

Could you give us more details on your application and fault condition?

What is the power supply voltage rating?

The above waveforms are captured on a custom board? Could you share your schematic?

It would be useful to see some waveforms showing also the motor phase voltage and PWM signal, as well as SENSE and FAULT, to investigate the root cause of SENSE "spike" (with different time basis).

According to your second update, you can observe the same behavior with the X-NUCLEO-IHM12A1.

Under which operating conditions can this behavior be reproduced?

HI @MMold.1, are there any updates on this topic?