cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STSPIN220 Microstepping

TDiaz.1
Associate

I currently am running a stepper motor with a STSPIN220. I wanted to configure the STSPIN220 into 1/8 step mode, but I cannot decipher what I need to do to configure the microcontroller to send out the proper command to set the STSPIN220 into 1/8 step mode. From all the datasheets/app notes I have read, there is multiple configuration inputs to configure the step resolution. For my example of 1/8 step, there are two possible configuration inputs. While the 1/256 step has four possible configuration inputs.

I would greatly appreciated someone's insight on how to work with these multiple configurations for step resolutions for the STSPIN220.

2 REPLIES 2
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @TDiaz.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

The resolution of the integrated microstepping sequencer of STSPIN220 is selected through the following digital inputs: MODE1, MODE2, MODE3/STCK and MODE4/DIR.

The value of the MODEx inputs is latched at power-up and when the device exits the STBY condition. After this, the input value is unimportant and the MODE3 and MODE4 inputs start operating as step-clock and direction input.

In your case - 1/8th step - you can choose alternatively one of the two configurations available in the Table 8 of the STSPIN220 datasheet

For more details you can refer to the application notes AN4923.

I hope these info can help you; if so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

Hello @TDiaz.1​,

have the info above been helpful to you?