cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L4960 switching frequency

EMart.10
Associate

HI! I have a L4960 switching regulator, I want to know if there is a formula to calculate the switching frequency in fuction of the resistor and capacitor connected to pin 5. Also if you know more information about the pin 3 and pin 6 functionalitys it will be very helpful.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Community member​, to the community!

First of all, the L4960 is already discontinued and unfortunately there is no support for it anymore.

Nevertheless, I will try to help you a little further because I had to deal with this many years ago. There is no formula for the switching frequency, but the data sheet contained a resistance vs. frequency diagram for different capacitor values. As far as I remember, you could set a switching frequency between 600...10kHz with 1.5nF and a resistor between 1...68kOhm, both connected in parallel and to GND.

Pin 3 was the frequency compensation pin for the control loop, typically 15kohms + 33nF in series to GND.

Pin 6 is connected to a capacitor for soft start, typically 2.2µF to GND, which is charged linearly by the pin 6 source current of about 140µA. This capacitor also influences the short-circuit current, but no more detailed information is available on this.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Community member​, to the community!

First of all, the L4960 is already discontinued and unfortunately there is no support for it anymore.

Nevertheless, I will try to help you a little further because I had to deal with this many years ago. There is no formula for the switching frequency, but the data sheet contained a resistance vs. frequency diagram for different capacitor values. As far as I remember, you could set a switching frequency between 600...10kHz with 1.5nF and a resistor between 1...68kOhm, both connected in parallel and to GND.

Pin 3 was the frequency compensation pin for the control loop, typically 15kohms + 33nF in series to GND.

Pin 6 is connected to a capacitor for soft start, typically 2.2µF to GND, which is charged linearly by the pin 6 source current of about 140µA. This capacitor also influences the short-circuit current, but no more detailed information is available on this.

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
EMart.10
Associate

Yes, thank you very much!

Great!

If the problem is solved, please mark this thread as answered by selecting Select as best, as also explained here. This will help other users find that answer faster.

Good luck!

/Peter