cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVAL6498L - what type of heatsinks can be used?

Lello
Associate II

Hi there

I am planning to use EVAL6498L to build a boost dc-dc converter with synchronous rectification.

I notice that if I fit two TO-220 switches these will be very close, therefore I am not sure what heat-sink I can use, as mechanical space becomes a problem if I use this heatsink (RA-T2X-51E), which I was planning to use.

Would you have some recommended type of heatsinks that can be used for TO-220 switches sitting on this EVAL6498L board?

Thank you

Lello

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Lello​,

I cannot suggest a specific brand or part number for heatsink.

In any case, the model you linked is too wide (about 42 mm).

Considering the transistors placing in the EVAL6498L, I suggest you use a heatsink maximum width of 18 mm.

0693W000007ZrOTQA0.pngAn alternative solution, could be to use a single heatsink for both transistors by adding a conductive insulator (paste, thin film or pad).

I hope this post can help you; if so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Lello​,

I cannot suggest a specific brand or part number for heatsink.

In any case, the model you linked is too wide (about 42 mm).

Considering the transistors placing in the EVAL6498L, I suggest you use a heatsink maximum width of 18 mm.

0693W000007ZrOTQA0.pngAn alternative solution, could be to use a single heatsink for both transistors by adding a conductive insulator (paste, thin film or pad).

I hope this post can help you; if so, consider to mark it as best answer by clicking the label "Select as Best".